strawberries

• 6 Replies

mower man

strawberries
« on: July 09, 2011, 20:52 »
I have been picking strawberries since May 10 this year, the earliest I have picked before was June 2   However two weeks ago we decided to leave the last few strawberries on the plants, as we have had the judging of the best plot award this week (fingers crossed )

Now that it, has taken place I decided to eat the remaining strawberries, and though they were over ripe they were the best I have ever tasted really sweet and juicy.
You may be only one person in the world,  but you may also be the world to one person.

Kajazy

• Experienced Member
Re: strawberries
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 23:18 »
I'm jealous - we've only had about 10 strawberries this year - mind you, the plants did only get planted into the pot in spring. I'm thinking of creating a strawberry bed at the allotment - any top tips?

SUTTY1

• Pumpkin Champion 2010 / Super Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 00:48 »
Now that it, has taken place I decided to eat the remaining strawberries, and though they were over ripe they were the best I have ever tasted really sweet and juicy.

Surely if they were the best you ever tasted thats what counts, not what the judges think and assuming there were enough to enjoy :D :D

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 08:12 »
I'm jealous - we've only had about 10 strawberries this year - mind you, the plants did only get planted into the pot in spring. I'm thinking of creating a strawberry bed at the allotment - any top tips?

get plenty of organic matter in the soil and net them once the flowers form - put the net on that allows bees and things through but not birds, it's usually available in poundies or similar at an inexpensive cost and if you treat it right it can last for years.

good luck :)

LilacSandy

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 09:44 »
Make sure they are well watered as soon as they start to flower.  Mine are in a raised bed with tons of compost but the fruits were very small this year ,as with our drought conditions this year in the south east I was unable to water them enought.

xhappychickx

• 1 rhode island, 1 maran, 1 baby leghorn
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 14:32 »
I bought a little plant from morrisons and getting quite a few flowers.....
Garden Pics 003.JPG

sonnycbr

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 17:49 »
I grow mine in a raised bed with loads of compost and manure, all covered with black plastic and planted through slits. I use the large mesh pea net from £ shops and cover the plants as soon as I've tidied them up in the spring. I feed them once a week with a comfrey/nettle tea.This is their second year and I've had more strawberries than we can cope with from 60 plants.

xx
DD, Your Strawberries?

Started by iwantanallotment on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 16, 2009, 19:14
by DD.
xx
Strawberries

Started by sandygreen on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post November 23, 2011, 20:25
by sunshineband
xx
Strawberries

Started by Tommy54321 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post February 19, 2021, 08:40
by mumofstig
xx
1st strawberries

Started by grinling on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 13, 2014, 20:53
by JimB

Page created in 0.307 seconds with 36 queries.