Needing to know.

• 19 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Needing to know.
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2020, 18:07 »
I do roughly the same as Ivor but a bit later in the year ;)
https://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=103226.msg1154805#msg1154805

Grubbypaws

« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2020, 16:05 »
After reading Grubbypaws last message, I want to ask if Parsnip is good at recovering from this sort of thing. Where I am, and the patch of ground my snips are in, is battered by very strong winds at times. Trying to construct a form of protection might prove difficult.

I will let you know if mine recover. They are small and very fragile with only one true leaf at the moment. It is just an unfortunate time to have such an unseasonally strong wind.

The ones that got blown flat have not survived  :(

Nobbie

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2020, 19:14 »
I sowed mine in mid April in little groups 6” apart in rows, that way it becomes obvious which the parsnips are and you can hoe the weeds between them easily. You can then thin gradually to one at each position, but not too quickly as they seem to like a bit of company, maybe it helps to hold on to each other in the wind :lol:

Grubbypaws

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2020, 12:13 »
I sowed mine in mid April in little groups 6” apart in rows, that way it becomes obvious which the parsnips are and you can hoe the weeds between them easily. You can then thin gradually to one at each position, but not too quickly as they seem to like a bit of company, maybe it helps to hold on to each other in the wind :lol:
I too have grown them in little groups. Because of the wind and the damage it is causing I have not yet thinned them. In a normal year I would have done this when they were smaller by pulling the unwanted seedlings out carefully. They are now 4-5 inches tall with several leaves. Is it still OK to pull them out to thin or will this put the chosen one at risk? Would it be better to snip rather than pull?

Russell Atterbury

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2020, 13:15 »
As of Grubbypaws last mail, just today I thinned out my Parsnip. But reading the mail, maybe I should have left it for a while, they are only with the one leaf, and I was thinking about the disturbance it would create if left much longer. Conclusion is: what a learning curve we are all on, and there is no exact or guaranteed method. But I have to say that Ivor seems to have perfected it the best it can be. I mean, getting them in the ground in the middle of March.....in north Wales.

xx
Chilli plants needing IDs

Started by DopeyAlex on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post October 24, 2010, 17:01
by alibean
xx
Newby needing advice please

Started by Outofdepth on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 09, 2011, 22:19
by Outofdepth
xx
New allotment owner needing help

Started by brooks184 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 22, 2011, 21:22
by matty42
xx
Newbie needing soil advice

Started by darthpaul on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 16, 2009, 17:05
by peapod

Page created in 0.311 seconds with 46 queries.