« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2012, 12:32 »
hmmm..this sounds like a challange  :tongue2:

let battle comence !!!  :D  :D  :D  :tongue2:
Real knowledge is to know the extent of ones ignorance

jay001

• Experienced Member
Re: Sunflower Competition 2012
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2012, 13:11 »
I potted on my seedlings at the weekend... about 6 inches tall with some nice healthy sets of leaves on them, even tied to them to some 'mini stakes' in the form of wooden skewers... my battle is commencing!

mine are at the top of 6 foot bamboo canes now !! anyone know were i can purchase any longer ones ? oh dear more lies --- lies--- lies  :D  :D never thought of useing my wooden skewers from kitchen co my plants are about the same size so reccon they will need something so thank,s for that diddy  jay  8)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2012, 13:31 »
If you had to stake them at only 6" high, they're obviously very weak and we've nothing to worry about!  :lol:
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

jay001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2012, 13:34 »
If you had to stake them at only 6" high, they're obviously very weak and we've nothing to worry about!  :lol:

hey this comp is hotting up !!!! ever heard about lulling someone into a false sense of securety dd  :D

Diddy Gardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2012, 13:38 »
*Gasp*... I didn't 'have' to stake them - I was just trying to give them the best start in life - they are the picture of gorgeousness and healthiness... you will not get me down  :D
Lucky Mother of 2 dogs, 2 cats (RiP Sherlock) and 4 chickens (welcome Brenda and Harriet)

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2012, 13:40 »
That's OK. By staking them, you've given them support, which means they won't be inclined to put down a good sturdy root system to anchor themselves.

jay001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2012, 13:52 »
That's OK. By staking them, you've given them support, which means they won't be inclined to put down a good sturdy root system to anchor themselves.

oop,s !! confused now dd :blush: should i stake or not ? ____ i know, i will do half " n " half that way if you are trying to beat me by giving me false advice i still have my backup  :D

Diddy Gardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2012, 14:01 »
Don't mind me, I've gone off in a huff, muttering under my breath  :unsure:

jay001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2012, 15:00 »
Don't mind me, I've gone off in a huff, muttering under my breath  :unsure:

hey diddy --- no huffs allowed---- after all still reckon i will be last  :D  :D

mattwragg94

« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2012, 16:25 »
hey diddy --- no huffs allowed---- after all still reckon i will be last  :D  :D

i dont think you'll get any lower down than me jay - ive only got sunflower seedlings  (from bird seed) - so i still need to buy some seed (idealy tommorow), hopefully the proper seed will catch up - fingers crossed!

jay001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2012, 16:39 »

i dont think you'll get any lower down than me jay - ive only got sunflower seedlings  (from bird seed) - so i still need to buy some seed (idealy tommorow), hopefully the proper seed will catch up - fingers crossed!

hey matt that,s were mine came from as well you know hands dont work very well so it was quite hard for me but all 20 i picked and potted came up,and only seeds that cost me a fortune via amazon are the ones that i seem to kill off  :D

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2012, 17:01 »
i know i keep on finding competitions  :lol: - is there only the pumpkin and sunflower competitions on this site? or have i missed some?

None running at the moment, but keep an eye open on this forum:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=18.0

jay001

• Experienced Member
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2012, 18:02 »
OK folks - we've had our little bit of fun on here, but it's getting so that we can't see the wood for the trees and I don't want to miss anyone asking to participate.

Get it out of your system, as tomorrow I intend tidying this thread up and then I will ask purely for posts from those asking to participate or to report on the progress of their plants.

soz dd probebly me and my humour and being new to the site.dont quite grasp all the reg,s yet  :blush: i hope we get more people cos it has certainly inspired me to take part
cheer,s jay  :blush:

Diddy Gardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2012, 19:32 »
DD... can 'progress of plants' include any smugness? Are there varying degrees of smugness? Please advise as I can do anything from covert smugness to outright 'I am the winner' smugness.  :D I'm thinking covert/under the radar smugness is what's gonna be acceptable...

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2012, 19:38 »
A simple statement of fact like "my sunflowers are still only 6" high" will suffice.

thumbup
Sunflower Competition 2012

Started by DD. on General Gardening

160 Replies
Last post November 08, 2012, 07:26
by sunshineband
smiley
Not the Sunflower Competition

Started by compostqueen on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post July 31, 2013, 11:36
by compostqueen
xx
No sunflower competition this year?

Started by Diddy Gardener on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post May 13, 2015, 14:48
by Diddy Gardener
thumbup
Sunflower Competition 2013

Started by DD. on General Gardening

77 Replies
Last post November 06, 2013, 08:40
by DD.

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 29 queries.