Moving climbing rose

• 8 Replies

Zippy

Moving climbing rose
« on: June 14, 2010, 23:23 »
I have a climbing rose which is about three feet away from the trellis wall. I want to move it nearer the wall when it goes dormant.  Am I likely to be successful or is it better to leave it? It has been there for two years.

countrygardener

Re: Moving climbing rose
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 00:07 »
hi there whenever i need to move roses the method i use is as follows.
Wait until the winter when the plant is dormant ,then cut back the stems to a foot or two above the ground removing any damaged or diseased stems completely,then dig it up trimming any roots with secateurs that have been damaged with the spade then plant it to its new position with some organic matter in the soil,finishing with a good water and some rose fertiliser.The downside is that it may take a year to get back to tip top condition.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 08:29 »
bare in mind that it will be very dry the nearer it gets to the wall, so you may have to water it regularly once it is moved  :)

Zippy

« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 09:07 »
bare in mind that it will be very dry the nearer it gets to the wall

Thanks mumofstig. I think that's why the original gardener placed it a yard from the wall but it looks silly trained along the ground and then up the trellis; looks like electricity cables!

The original gardener placed the rose a yard from the wall and then obscured the rose stems along the ground by plnting a large Hebe in front. It works from a distance.

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 16:29 »
Ah - only problem I can think of is the roots will have spread outwards and, though digging it up while it is dormant is no problem, the surrounding soil area will need to be removed to a fair depth to prevent rose sickness - ie - something that you can get when replanting a rose in the same place - something to do with locked nutrients I think, but Google it to make sure.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Zippy

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 16:42 »
I am starting to think differently about this one. Maybe I could leave the rose where it is and look out for ways to fill out the space behind the present stems. There is still time for it to fill out I think; only six feet high at present and maybe ten leading stems.

It just looks odd close up because the stems are trained to the wall from a centre which is about 2.5 feet away from the wall, I think to prevent it drying out too quickly.

Maybe I should leave alone. It does smell nice. No idea what it is called; LIDL's Original I think.

Lardman

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 18:08 »
Check you can dig the hole near the wall first. Depending on what the wall is - there could be strip footings protruding out so you can't get the root ball any closer.

rock_chick

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 11:52 »
We moved a load of roses, climbing and standards, in our garden last autumn, including moving some closer to their supports. We did as Countrygardener has suggested, pruned (although not quite as harshly as cutting stems down to a foot), added plenty of manure and compost to the new site and re-planted. All the roses are looking great, and although not back to the full condition, they are looking much healthier and happier. As for rose re-plant disease, it doesn't exist - just make sure you add plenty of nutrients to the soil before replanting.
http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

No two gardens are the same. No two days are the same in one garden.

white westie

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2010, 00:00 »
Hi Zippy,
I have two climbing roses growing up the fence with roses all at the top,i planted a clematis and scented jasmine and trained them along the fence under the roses it fills out the space lovely. :) :)

xx
Climbing Rose

Started by black diamond on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post February 05, 2008, 11:59
by Selkie
xx
climbing rose

Started by hoporus on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post April 18, 2010, 10:34
by hoporus
xx
Help me please to find a climbing rose

Started by Zippy on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post November 06, 2010, 00:33
by compostqueen
clip
What's eating my climbing rose?

Started by Pony Girl on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post November 16, 2013, 11:37
by Goosegirl

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 29 queries.