Sweet peas

• 111 Replies

joyce c

Re: Sweet peas
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2010, 19:26 »
You've certainly read it correctly.  And I know what you mean about counting . I do exactly the same, and I'm sure many more like us.  :)

compost

« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2010, 20:26 »
A sure fire way, get a saucer, layer it with cotton wool, soak well with clean water, place seeds on top and fill saucer until seeds almost immersed. Place second saucer upturned onto first saucer and then place the whole lot on the kitchen window sill. Daily checks required and as soon as the seeds sprout remove top saucer.
When seedlings large enough to handle replant into moist growing medium with just the tips showing.
Good luck.

Paul Plots

« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2010, 23:33 »
Thanks for your swift reply.  Should I leave all the 10 bought seedlings (about 3") in the 3" pot until I transfer to final position, or should I pot them onto bigger/deeper containers.
I've just obtained a greenhouse (whoo hoo) and raring to go. So you'll be seeing my postings all over this site   :lol:

I think I might be tempted to split them now - take care teasing the roots apart...
Transplanting now should be easier than untangling the roots when they have more of them.

If I use 3" pots I stick about 3 seeds per pot then bung the lot in as they are when planting out.

Good luck - and may the perfume be with you soon!!  :)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Slowgrind

« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2010, 07:30 »
Ah! That first smell of the summer's sweet peas, intoxicating!

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2010, 11:19 »
Just a thought: Sweet Peas grow deep - they would benefit from deeper pots (although you can plant them out soon, you don't have to wait frosts to be gone, but you should harden them off before planting out. But  bringing them on in greenhouse / conservatory / windowsill will save some time I suppose, and in that case deeper pots will help. I use Richy's Paper Pots for sweet peas - mine are only 2" diameter, if that, but are 6" - 7" deep

joyce c

« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2010, 16:03 »
I've used the root trainers, and although they're expensive, I think I've invested well.  On the other hand I've also used the self made ones with newspaper, and they're proving equally as good.  I've been putting them out during the day and putting back into the un heated greenhouse at night.  I think if I were to plant them out at the moment, all this dreadful rain would wash them away.  My garden is sodden. Roll on some sunny days.

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2010, 17:27 »
Ive sown some today never done them before  :D they was free with some tumbling toms that we got for hanging baskets today.
Thanks
Kris

Paul Plots

« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2010, 15:46 »
I always give mine a good soaking first and wait (and wait, and wait) for a sign of life before potting them up.  ;)

rhythmvick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2010, 10:36 »
Mine have gone crazy over the last week or so - I didn't soak them or do anything in preparation - just stuck 'em in the compost in the modules in the freezer bags on the windowsill! I thought they were looking a bit 'leggy' (although I'm new to all this so am having to guess what 'leggy looks like  ::) ) However, they look like they've calmed down a bit over the last couple of days, thankfully!
Gardens... should be like lovely, well-shaped girls:  all curves, secret corners, unexpected deviations, seductive surprises and then still more curves.  ~H.E. Bates, A Love of Flowers

Paul Plots

« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2010, 18:03 »
Mine have gone crazy over the last week or so - I didn't soak them or do anything in preparation - just stuck 'em in the compost in the modules in the freezer bags on the windowsill! I thought they were looking a bit 'leggy' (although I'm new to all this so am having to guess what 'leggy looks like  ::) ) However, they look like they've calmed down a bit over the last couple of days, thankfully!

"Pinching out" the tips will help reduce legginess and encourage them to send out side shoots but wait until you have a couple of sets of leaves at least.  ;)

earthing83

• Experienced Member
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2010, 21:53 »
Can anyone give me some sweet pea advice too?!

I sowed mine in tall newspaper pots and toilet roll tubes. Most germinated and shot up. I pinched out the tips when they had two true sets of leaves and they are now hardening off. They don't seem to be very strong looing though! They are floppy and the stems don't seem thick enough. This is my first time growing them and thought this was normal, until I saw the ones in the garden center looking much more...sturdy!
Do you think it's time to plant them somewhere with a support? They are around 15-20 cm tall.
Thanks in advance!

Paul Plots

« Reply #41 on: April 13, 2010, 14:10 »
I think they will be fine to plant out providing they have been hardened off (got used to being in the open air rather than a greenhouse).

I've had mine in an open cold-frame for a couple of weeks - their stems appear quite fragile / thin but once they are planted out they'll thicken and get cracking.

My dad always put a bit of protection around his (few sheets of glass to keep the wind off) but I usually plant next to a warm fence or wall and leave them to it.  ;)

Rangerkris

• My pic's
« Reply #42 on: April 13, 2010, 18:14 »
Some are popping through today, only just but they are popping.

Paul Plots

« Reply #43 on: April 13, 2010, 19:44 »
Some are popping through today, only just but they are popping.

I thought they only popped when the seed pods had formed, dried in the sun and then they popped!  :blink:  :lol:

rhythmvick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2010, 12:04 »
I planted some out at the weekend under a cloche/top of a squash bottle (!) and they are doing so well - well done, my lovely little sweet peas!!

The ones that I put in paperpots a couple of weeks ago inside are doing well and will be able to go out in the next couple of weeks.  :D :D :D Have never grown them before so am looking forward to sweet peas on the bedside table - what a lovely thing to see when you wake up!!  :happy:

xx
Sweet Peas

Started by ratman on General Gardening

42 Replies
Last post August 04, 2008, 21:29
by unaspenser
xx
Sweet peas

Started by sclarke624 on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post June 15, 2009, 18:43
by Kristen
xx
Sweet peas

Started by DIGGER on General Gardening

68 Replies
Last post March 07, 2009, 17:53
by Smarty
xx
Sweet Peas

Started by thestens on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post July 14, 2013, 21:49
by MoreWhisky

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 28 queries.