What plants did you lose in the 'Big Freeze' ?

• 69 Replies

Thrift

What plants did you lose in the 'Big Freeze' ?
« on: March 05, 2010, 10:33 »
I'm interested to know what plants ( if any ) you all lost in the big freeze this winter. I have a cistus and a leptospermum which look sadly deceased. Both have been in situ for about 8yrs.

A friend reports a ceanothus looking sorry for itself. Shame, because suddenly there's a big hole in the garden which will take time to fill.  :( :(

scabs

• I love the smell of rhubarb in the morning
Re: What plants did you lose in the 'Big Freeze' ?
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2010, 10:50 »
Broad beans look awful. Time will tell if the Dahlias I left in will have survived (I know, I know, I forgot to lift them...  :( )

diggerjoe

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2010, 11:11 »
dissapointed to find the jasmine that has survived well for past few years gave up this winter so now the job of untangling it from the arch. Sowing some passion flower and extra sweet peas for this year to replace it.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2010, 11:35 »
Broad beans are looking terrible :dry: not sure about the garlic and onions yet....
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

scabs

• I love the smell of rhubarb in the morning
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 11:37 »
I should have said, I did two lots of garlic; the earlier planting is pretty bedraggled , the second looks fine.

Onions are happy as anything.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 11:49 »
You mean the Big Freeze is actually over? Hurrah (hope your're right!)

Bit early to tell for some herbaceous plants and bulbs I wouldn't be expecting to see yet anyway, although I've got a small Cordyline which isn't looking too chipper (mind you it wasn't looking that happy last year either!!)   :blush:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Domino

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 11:58 »
We are still freezing ! Kale and purple sprouting brocolli look very sad - last year I had started harvesting the brocolli by now.  Hope it's a good growing summer.....

madcat

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 13:25 »
I lost the begonia I had in the front (fully enclosed & double glazed) porch plus

the electronics in the door bell and that control the immobiliser in the car!   >:(
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

chopkins1313

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2010, 13:37 »
Looks like my rosemary plant has had it, still oping it might spring back into life but I'm not confident! My japanese onions are alive, just I think! My spring onions look ok though they havn't really grown in the last 3 months, hoping they start filling out a bit soon!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2010, 15:24 »
I lost some (supposedly) hardy perennial diascias a cistus, the hardy fuschias are cut back to the ground but I think most of them will grow back again.
The penstemons that I was sure would die have already started to shoot, so that was a pleasant surprise :)

I won't know for a while if the Zante arum lillies will grow again....if they do I'm gonna pot them up so that I can protect them in future...so fingers crossed.

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2010, 19:30 »
Half my Autumn sown broad beans - first year I've tried them, possibly some of the garlic. Lavender, newly planted looking a bit sad, not sure about dahlias, so have sown some more. A rosemary in a pot is looking surprisingly healthy. Winter dnsity lettuce a bit bedraggled, but has survived being in the open.
PSB is taking an age, last year I picked it on Mother's day, think it will be Easter this year. Wish it would hurry up as it's where my root veggies are supposed to be going!

DavidT

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2010, 19:38 »
My 10 year old, multi-stemmed banana plant. I`m praying that the rootball isn`t totally dead. :( :D

stentman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2010, 20:06 »
My autumn beans (aquadulce) took a right bashing lost the majority. A few gaps have appeared in my onion rows but wether that's due to the wildlife or the weather I wouldn't like to say. In the garden my cordyline looks to have gone and the jasmin has done nothing so far I shall just have to wait and see. One thing I hope to have lost in the big freeze is any over wintering lily beetles from the senior house managers lily bed.
Stents keeping things open 24/7

If one way be better than another, that you can be sure is natures way. Aristotle 384BC - 322BC

wighty

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2010, 20:56 »
Have lost all my geraniums and begonias in the greenhouse. Because of my 'milder' cllimate here tend to leave more of my fucshias out than perhaps you mainlanders would but time will tell with them.

boosh

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2010, 08:41 »
hi
my spring cabbages took a battering lost about 5.
lost about half of my autum sowen peas, will fill in the gaps when weather dose change.
lost about a third of my shallots.

only lost one onion, and all the autum planted garlic are fine. :)

xx
Lose the lawn, keep the tree

Started by MalcW on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post April 15, 2016, 14:35
by Goosegirl
xx
What flowering plants or garden plants do you dislike?

Started by Oliveview on General Gardening

13 Replies
Last post May 03, 2008, 00:23
by Kiwi
xx
plants for i d

Started by mdjlucan on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post May 10, 2012, 19:45
by sunshineband
xx
plants for i d

Started by mdjlucan on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post May 03, 2012, 14:45
by mdjlucan

Page created in 0.135 seconds with 30 queries.