Round up or Glysophate?

• 57 Replies

Riala

Re: Round up or Glysophate?
« Reply #30 on: June 01, 2009, 21:19 »
I asked the council that when they offered the rotavating, and they said:

Unfortunately, we can only arrange for the ground to be turned over. We only cut down vacant plots once during each financial year (usually this time of year).

If we cut down the overgrowth on every single vacant plot, there would be no budget to do anything else, and budgets are extremely limited as it is. Hence, why only rotovations are offered to new tenants.

Which I thought odd... if they do it "this time of year" why can they not do mine?

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #31 on: June 01, 2009, 21:21 »
Hard going with shears, been there done that myself  :(

If you cover stuff up with old carpet etc. ( ask on freecycle ) you could create planting pockets through it, and plant this year through that.

I can sympathise with you on the cost of tools etc but sometimes 1 good tool is worth its cost.
Is there anyone on site who could lend/hire you a strimmer or a scythe. You may be surprised who has what.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Riala

« Reply #32 on: June 01, 2009, 21:24 »
Oooh., no no no no, carpets are bad!!

All the nasty toxins and glue used in the making goes into your soil!  I will however, use the left over boxes after I move and lay them down.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
« Reply #33 on: June 01, 2009, 21:25 »
 :) use cardboard then ask at local electrical store etc. they have huge boxes

Riala

« Reply #34 on: June 01, 2009, 21:31 »
Excellent idea, thank you hun!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2009, 21:37 »
 :) glad to be of help, I tend to get the POS display boxes that come from work, they are big and flat open up to be about 5'x5'  8)

sloworm

• Experienced Member
« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2009, 22:00 »
Hi Riala,

i know it does seem an added expense but if you could try one of the chillaton drag hoes you may find you get on with it, I have a smaller plot than yours but in a similar condition i have covered the ground and used the hoe to remove the tops and then to break up the soil once you get the knack it is quite theraputic and not as physical as digging because you are not lifting the soil all the time......
Just another opinion to confuse you further ::)

oldbean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2009, 22:04 »
A rotary mower set high will make inroads in long weeds if you take it slowly. Thinks, there must be one of your practices farmer customers who has a scythe in the barn that no one uses, or wants, and is in need if a good home.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2009, 22:26 »
there must be one of your practices farmer customers who has a scythe in the barn that no one uses, or wants, and is in need if a good home.

OLDBEAN - you know as well as I do that a scythe takes considerable skill and practice to use in any competent way.  If it was easy then all the garden centres would sell them instead of strimmers.   ::)

oldbean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #39 on: June 02, 2009, 00:14 »
I also mentioned in my post the use of a rotary mower. The rotary mower at least has a cover over the blade, which a strimmer does not. While the strimmer's instructions will say for the operator to use safety glasses, most onlookers will not be aware how far bits can fly from a strimmer. They can still be a hazard at more than 20 feet. It doesn't stop them being sold though.

As with most tools, the scythe is better after some practice, but then so are most tools. Come to that, there are lots of bits of gardening that take considerable skill and practice to do in any competent way, which explains why I probably need more practice. Perhaps I should give up.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2009, 06:25 »
Spray + Rotovate (Steering more and more away from Rotovate because of the amount of unknown weeds)

I think this might be worth considering further.

If the weeds were killed (by some means), and the tops removed, have you got the time / energy to dig it?  I don't know what your soil is like, but my clay will have turned to concrete in another few weeks.

On the other hand, if you rotavate it you most certainly run the risk of generating lots of new weed plants. But you are going to get a whole lot of weed seed germinating anyway, as soon as you open the soil.

Would you be happy to use weed killer a second time on them? Or plastic sheet over the whole plot? (No idea of cost, and whether you can get that on freecycle or somesuch)

Not ideal, but worth considering the balance of what will get your plot in shape in a timescale that suits you, and with whatever time and energy you have available!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2009, 11:48 »

As with most tools, the scythe is better after some practice, but then so are most tools. Come to that, there are lots of bits of gardening that take considerable skill and practice to do in any competent way, which explains why I probably need more practice. Perhaps I should give up.

Noo don't give up oldbean,

I'd love to try out a scythe one day I hope I do so, funny thing is they are supposed to be quicker than a strimmer  :wacko: and definitely a lot quieter  you can have a conversation whilst working ;)

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #42 on: June 02, 2009, 11:57 »
We used to have a "Turks Scythe" when I was a lad - in days before Strimmers. Supposedly easier to use than a normal scythe, but I wouldn't have wanted to talk to anyone whilst using it - it was lethally sharp and needed some concentration to use!

oldbean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #43 on: June 02, 2009, 13:13 »
I think the "Turk scythe" is similar to the Austrian scythes in the links I posted. They are the ones that are relatively easy to use. I also have an English scythe, (or perhaps it's just an apology for an English scythe). It's a brute, and the only time it comes out is to show people how hard it is to use and sharpen. I don't doubt that there are some experts about who can use them, but I'm not one.

The picture is a patch i maintain with a scythe, 'scuse the weeds. The black jagged line is the shadow from the hedge, AND TOO MUCH SUN :mad:
DSC00677B.jpg

SG6

« Reply #44 on: June 02, 2009, 19:10 »
Riala, if you think about it too much then nothing will happen.

Also whatever you do will be unnatural :ohmy: The patch of ground is at present in its natural state - weeds etc everywhere. That is natural. A bare patch of clear dug over soil is unnatural. So are the things we plant in it, they have all been developed over the years. Seed companies develop new seeds etc for us to use.

I would suggest a "slight" compromise, but not much of one. Clear the growth by means of a strimmer or whatever and get it a low as possible. Pile the cut material in something so it can compost down. Then mark the plot boundries and use glysophate. :ohmy:

So then whatever is in the growth has the opportunity to get out. At least you do something to minimise the impact.

Then you have a plot on the go and can start to see some progress.

As for rotovation, seems sensible(ish). Have it rotovated, yes it will cut up the roots but then dig it over and remove anything you come across. You probably will not be able to plant directly into the rotovated ground anyway. So the rotovator does the initial heavy stuff. After that whatever comes up pull it out if not whatever you planted.

You will not have a perfect plot immediatly, that comes with time.

xx
Growing flowers all year round

Started by trogg on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post October 29, 2009, 15:44
by arugula
xx
half round baskets and planting help

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post April 19, 2011, 19:57
by mumofstig
xx
On my usual wander round the garden with my first cup of tea,

Started by mumofstig on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post April 13, 2018, 21:18
by Growster...
xx
Rolawn blended loam topsoil - good all round soil?

Started by Colin1 on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post July 18, 2011, 16:27
by daisy1990

Page created in 0.128 seconds with 28 queries.