I'm clueless...please help.

• 139 Replies

ruudwoods

Re: I'm clueless...please help.
« Reply #135 on: July 29, 2014, 09:13 »
When levelling up, as long as you don't put too much top soil on, the grass will grow up through it. I would guess about 1" after firming down will be ok and you can always add more if needed when the grass has come through. You can always sprinkle some grass seed on top as well if it looks a bit sparse - it won't do any harm. As for your patio, I'm not sure what you mean. I assume it isn't flagged yet, so adding top soil to level it out will raise its height. You could put in a step from the lawn to the patio. Perhaps a pic will help me to understand what you mean.

I can try and add a pic later when i get home which might help.

To try and explain the best i can though :D....

The flags are perhaps about 2 inches thick and the level of the grass/soil ties into the flag at the bottom edge of the flag resulting in a 2 inch step from graas up onto the flag.

I think this has been a result of digging out the old stuff, maybe i took a bit too much lol.

It isnt too bad but it would be nice if it was level from grass onto patio.

When it comes to topsoils is there anything particular i should look out for?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #136 on: July 29, 2014, 09:39 »
Grass isn't particularly fussy about soil, although if your soil is clay it obviously makes sense not to top dress with a clay topsoil, and the opposite if your soil is sandy - whatever it is it needs to be 'rakeable' so you can gradually make up that 2" gap without it becoming too noticeable overall. The more organic material it contains the longer the whole process will take, as it will sink as the organic stuff disappears and need topping up again.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Goosegirl

« Reply #137 on: July 29, 2014, 11:36 »
I agree with JayG. When you decide to get your topsoil, choose a couple of places but go and look at their supply first before buying, feel it with your hands as well, and make sure it has no big hard lumps (some may be due to compaction so see if they break up ok). I see now what you mean about the patio. To raise the height of the whole lawn would take quite a long time because the soil will continue to compact. If you just raise it at the patio edge, it might look a bit funny? Just a thought for now - you could make a little slope from the grass to the flags by using a single length of wooden boarding. Looking at it length-on, it would look like a right-angled triangle and all it would need is something underneath to support it. The other option could be to make a slope out of cement. Either way, you would need to cut an inch or two off the edge of the lawn where it meets the patio.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

ruudwoods

« Reply #138 on: April 09, 2015, 08:48 »
Well hello again,   :)

Not sure if anyone remembers me but i thought i would drop back in a year on to report back and thank those who helped me. 

I now have a much tidier garden with grass and although all is not perfect with it yet it looks 100x better than it did.  I now have also some fences as well (no thanks to my neighbours)  :D

I will come back and post a picture later so you can see the difference.  I will also need a fee tips for developing it this spring.  (So far i have thrown down some Evergreen 4 in 1).

Goosegirl

« Reply #139 on: April 09, 2015, 13:35 »
How strange! I was only thinking of you last week and wondering how your lawn was looking but I couldn't remember your name - sorry! I'm so glad it seems to be doing well. Apart from feeding which you have done, I can only think of rolling it in case it is uneven but not if your type of soil is heavy which would make it compacted. As it's such a new lawn let it take its time to grow and thicken up even more.

Page created in 0.119 seconds with 29 queries.