Good fly sprays.

• 15 Replies

Goosegirl

Good fly sprays.
« on: July 12, 2018, 14:27 »
I hate flies of any sort and use a spray, but don't find it as effective as they used to be so had to get those awful sticky things in a roll to hang up in various places. Yuk! Anyone know of a better way to catch them because the time is nigh when those small biting ones will be coming which always go for your ankles. 
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

mrs bouquet

Re: Good fly sprays.
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2018, 14:51 »
I have got one of those things which hang at the back door, coloured plastic strips, so they fly in through that and then go to the window.  They are really stupid, when I open the window they go against the pane, but still don't go out.
My squirter is Ra-d (its a vowel), but my daughter prefers hair lacquer ! that slows them down :lol: :lol:
Do those hanging paper things work ?. perhaps I'll try them  :D  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2018, 15:04 »
I use the same as you but don't fancy spraying hair lacquer everywhere! The sticky rolls do get them but they're not nice to look at and aren't always available in the usual shops. We got ours from a local farm suppliers.

Lardman

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2018, 16:26 »
I have a fly curtain - it's useless.
I have sticky fly paper - it's useless after a couple land on it.
I have yellow window sticker flowers impregnated with killer - They're utterly useless.
I have a UV Zapper - it's useless (although good at night for biting things)

I have a rolled up news paper - it's excellent !

I also have a can of vapona from several decades ago before it was ruined - it's only comes out for special occasions that's also excellent (but mine and you can't have it !   :lol: )

jaydig

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2018, 17:40 »
 I use the same spray as you, Goosegirl, and there was me thinking that either my aim or my eyesight must be getting worse in my old age, because even after I've give them a good squirt, or so I thought, I swear they were flying around laughing at me.

Elaine G

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2018, 22:05 »
I used to use a newspaper until I found the fly swats in Poundland.
My aim has got a lot better, but nowhere near as good as the grandchildren who will not give up until they are all dispatched  :lol:

Elaine
The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet - James Oppenheim

wapello

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2018, 21:20 »
RAID from tesco job done, i must admit i use it in the polytunnel on the cabbage  b/ fly that gets  pass the mesh   ,,,,,,
Colin

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2018, 21:29 »
Those cheap tennis racquets aren't much good either, and don't try touching the strings...

Ouch!

JRT is a dab hand (paw) at getting flies, but at her age she should consider herself hors-de-combat more often...

We have several blue cans in all rooms, and just give the blighters a one-second burst. Otherwise the room pongs for ages...

Goosegirl

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2018, 13:20 »
It's just getting the burst of spray in the right flight path when it takes off, rather like a penalty taker and the  goalie - think I just got one now with the blue can jobbie! Today I had my first experience of being bitten on the foot by one of those smaller ones that can also nip you through your clothes. As I don't think spraying me with fly stuff is the best option, I'll have to find an ancient fly deterrent spray I bought many years ago.

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2018, 14:04 »
Do you mean 'Flit' Goosey?

mrs bouquet

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2018, 19:19 »
I used to use a newspaper until I found the fly swats in Poundland.
My aim has got a lot better, but nowhere near as good as the grandchildren who will not give up until they are all dispatched  :lol:

Elaine

I was in Poundland today, and saw the fly swats, and thought of you  (no disrespect  :D :lol:)  Mrs B

Goosegirl

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2018, 14:56 »
Do you mean 'Flit' Goosey?
No, I meant something you spray on yourself to keep mozzies and other nasties away when you go abroad.
I remember my grandpa using a spray can filled with Flit which he pumped all over the place. I think he used it in the garden but I very much doubt it could be used on humans.  :nowink:

wighty

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2018, 17:54 »
I use citronella spray from the horse supplies shop.  You can spray it over yourself and you don't smell too bad afterwards.  Also eat Marmite, there was a scientific study carried out that proved that people who eat Marmite get bitten less than those that don't.  :D

upert

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2018, 20:02 »
Anyone might think you didn't like flies, Lardman!

Has anyone ever used those little gun things - spring-mounted with a sucker at one end? You shoot at the flies and the sucker bit flies back at you to reload.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2018, 14:23 »
RAID from tesco job done, i must admit i use it in the polytunnel on the cabbage  b/ fly that gets  pass the mesh   ,,,,,,
Utterly useless on houseflies. If it ever does kill them, it must be a slow, lingering, painful death as nothing seems to affect them within the same day

xx
a few good men

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

1 Replies
Last post May 07, 2018, 18:55
by Aunt Sally
xx
Here's a good one for BP counters...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post March 14, 2020, 05:53
by Growster...
clip
So was Santa good to you?

Started by snowdrops on Chatting on the Plot

10 Replies
Last post December 27, 2022, 20:23
by jezza
xx
its good to be back

Started by rowlandwells on Chatting on the Plot

0 Replies
Last post April 20, 2020, 16:23
by rowlandwells

Page created in 0.225 seconds with 53 queries.