Gherkins

• 5 Replies

Moneyfields

Gherkins
« on: August 08, 2011, 12:29 »
 hello, just joined and looking for some advice on gherkin growing.
Its our first year and the plants i grew from seed looked really healthy for a time, then after a few weeks in the ground they became unhealthy and started to dry up/shrivel. Ive had 10 fruits off two plants, most start to form yhen die and fall off. I planted them in well manured soil, which is already light and well drained. The variety is 'Bimbostar' cant think why they have not 'prolifically' produced as promised on the seed pack! any ideas please reply!? Thanks.

hightide

• Experienced Member
Re: Gherkins
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 14:44 »
Hi Moneyfields

Not sure where you are or whether the plants are inside or out, I'm not an expert on Gherkins this is my first year growing the cucurbit. 
If the leaves started to dry up and shrivel this could be lack of water, I had this happen to those in my unheated greenhouse the leaves turned yellow and looked scorched, the fruit behind the flowers shrivelled and fell off. The good news was when I gave them more water the flowers started up again and fruit production resumed.
The weather this year has been funny, during last night the temperature here dropped to 9c so it could be the cool nights are not helping.
You said you manured the ground well, have you given them any other food? a good dose of 'Tomorite' could help.
Keep them going, a change in circumstances and they could start producing again  :)
A weed is a plant that's in the wrong place and intends to stay

Paul Plots

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 15:53 »
A bit more information about where you are and where you grew the gherkins would be useful.  ;)

At least yours started to do well Moneyfields. My father-in-law is bound to ask how mine did from the spare seed he gave me just a little late in the season.  :blush:

It's still in the packet waiting for next year!  ::)
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

realfood

• Experienced Member
    • Grow Your Own Info
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 18:40 »
I have grown Bimbostar for the last two years in a greenhouse and they are superb. Early to produce, very productive and keep going till it gets cold.

Salmo

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 00:06 »
I always think of pickled gherkins but can you eat them fresh like mini cucumbers?

realfood

• Experienced Member
    • Grow Your Own Info
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 19:46 »
Yes, I eat the gherkins fresh just like cucumbers. They even taste better. The advantage is that they are easier to grow at lower temperatures and much earlier to pick. I no longer bother with cucumbers.

xx
Gherkins

Started by Kajazy on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 27, 2011, 20:04
by mumofstig
xx
gherkins

Started by cooperman on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 11, 2010, 21:15
by Dan78
xx
Gherkins

Started by brokenglass on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post July 24, 2011, 12:43
by DD.
xx
help with gherkins

Started by moby on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 17, 2009, 15:15
by moby

Page created in 0.285 seconds with 28 queries.