sprouting seeds

• 5 Replies

fibilou

• Experienced Member
  • I love life !!
sprouting seeds
« on: March 19, 2008, 12:23 »
i can never get mung, bean, onion sprouts to work - which is annoying because i love them and they are sooooo pricey.

Other than buying an overpriced sprouter, how can I get these things to work ? The last batch of onion seeds (done in an unsealed jar) started to sprout after a couple of days, then stopped. They were on my kitchen windowsill, i kept washing them through with water twice a day like the packet said, but no joy.

Please help !
Happy, hippy mama with a love of baking, gardening and cake decorating

gobs

sprouting seeds
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2008, 18:14 »
I don't do the jar and rinse thing. But you don't have to buy something, either.

You can use some flat plastic tray/plate or similar, put holes in for drainage, I like to line with kitchen towel, it seems to hold moisture better. And on sunny days, needs watering 5-6 times a day, whenever the towel is dry.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

puravida

• Experienced Member
sprouting seeds
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2008, 18:26 »
I too love them and never had much joy sprouting them in a home made jam jar affair.  I bought one of the proper glass jars with mesh lid and that worked pretty well.

Since then I have upgraded to one of the basic 3-tiered tray sprouter systems that can have three different things sprouting simultaneously.

The difference in volume and success rate is insane!!! I love them and more times than not, the thing produces more than I get through. I agree that it seems silly to buy something to do this, but I can really couch for the results.

This is the one we got - Biosnacky is the brand I think

Good beer, good BBQ and good friends.

Scribbler

sprouting seeds
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2008, 19:58 »
I've done this in the past. Just a large glass jar with some cheesecloth held in place by a rubber band. Stick in a handful of mung beans and rinse thoroughly once or twice a day. No probs.
Growing salad leaves isn't rocket science.

mumsy

sprouting seeds
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2008, 20:02 »
T&M do a two tier for 5.99 or 23 pkts of sprouting seeds & a sprouter for 34.99. They are also one of the sponsors of this forum. See the link.

Stripey_cat

sprouting seeds
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 20:58 »
It could be getting too hot on the window sill - I keep mine in a south-facing room, but out of direct sunlight.  Alfalfa doing nicely as of going to press.

xx
sprouting seeds

Started by wighty on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 26, 2008, 19:41
by gobs
xx
newbie with seeds sprouting up

Started by titch on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 18, 2008, 19:50
by titch
xx
purple sprouting broccoli seeds

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 15, 2019, 13:25
by Grubbypaws
xx
Grow cabbages from sprouting seeds..?

Started by VegGirl7 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 05, 2012, 22:09
by VegGirl7

Page created in 0.301 seconds with 36 queries.