Just did an inventory of the freezers!

• 32 Replies

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Just did an inventory of the freezers!
« on: February 16, 2015, 15:15 »
Decided it was time to have an inventory of the 2 big freezers now they are getting a bit low!  :ohmy:

Only got 3 whole turkeys and 3 bits of pork shoulder left in there, but with all the turkey mince, drumsticks and wings, cooked turkey, chicken portions and various types of fish, also a pigs tongue and 2 heads, there's enough for at least 90 dinners there.

Brian keeps on about making his brawn, but I need to be in the mood and only want to do it when the woodburner is on full blast as it takes ages on the hob.

I've only made it once before too!  But at least I have a full list again now!  :D ;)

And that is without what's in the little freezer indoors.  I'd like to get down to 2 freezers when I can.  That will help on the electric bill a bit!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Just did an inventory of the freezers!
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 15:31 »
That's a healthy amount of food there, GrannieAnnie  :D

I haven't had brawn for years (obviously not something I now would be cooking at home, as you know  ;)) My Mum used to make a smashing one, that had tiny pieces of pickled cucumber in it.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 16:07 »
 :lol: No shopping for you for a while then, Grannie!

What's for tea? ...............................chicken or turkey, one way or another til it's all gone  :D

ghost61

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 16:30 »
I keep saying that I will go freezer diving to see what is at the bottom of the chest freezer.  I think it is a tardis as I thought I had glimpsed the bottom of my portions of braised red cabbage, but no, they go deeper and deeper.  My legs were dangling outside and one small shove and I could have been in, but still no bottom in sight.

I have sworn not to grow parsnips this year as I still have some from last season......

Headgardener22

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 16:50 »
We've just finished our sweetcorn.  :( Still got lots of fruit though. :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 16:59 »
Yesterday, I made jam with the last of the fruit, from the chest freezer, so can see the bottom.
I've still got a few bags of peas, French beans, courgette and found some tomato sauces at the bottom as well  :D

I'll soon use them up or move to fridge/freezer drawers and turn it off til later in the year.

Mrs Bee

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 17:09 »
Freezer inventory is on my to do list for tomorrow.

The freezer book is totally out of date after all the cooking I did for the birthday. I moved things, shoved extra things in and did not write it down. :unsure: :unsure: :blush:

And I know that I can get away with not buying food for a month.

Still  need to use up the fruit in the business freezer.

I keep promising myself I will run down the freezers to just 2 but as soon as I get wriggle room I find other bargains to fill them up with or get a baking or ice cream making urge and fill them up again. :blush:

snowdrops

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 17:13 »
I know I've still got loads of green,purple & yellow beans left. So it will have to be beans with everything I think. Must take some for DD now she has moved out :lol: whether she wants them or not  :nowink:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

LotuSeed

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2015, 20:07 »
I went through our chest freezer in search of blueberries. I finally found them under lots and lots and lots of tomatoes. I think I'll thaw a bunch, make sauce and wait for it, freeze it lol. Loads of fruit left to use in smoothies and for jam. Yum!
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2015, 22:55 »
Oh, I'm glad it isn't just me then!  :lol:

I didn't realise I still had some chillies in there actually, which is good as we've just finished the last jar of Biscombe's recipe for Sweet Hot Thai chilli sauce!

Not much chicken left MoS, and once the pork has gone (only 3 joints left!) it will be turkey, turkey and more turkey! 

Unfortunately, the lovely lady who we got our pork from was broken into before Christmas, and the thieves not only took the money, but cleared all their pork out of the freezers.  They obviously knew what they wanted!  So Theresa has decided not to rear anymore pork, and the only lambs she has now are for wool as she has started a little spinning business, with classes end selling the wool and stuff she makes from the wool.

Auntiemogs

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2015, 23:00 »
I went through our chest freezer in search of blueberries. I finally found them under lots and lots and lots of tomatoes. I think I'll thaw a bunch, make sauce and wait for it, freeze it lol. Loads of fruit left to use in smoothies and for jam. Yum!
So much easier to sauce toms after they've been frozen LS.  Just give them a squeeze, and far less simmer time (as a lot of the water comes out when defrosting).  :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

LotuSeed

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2015, 23:19 »
I know, lol, that's why I put them there in the first place 😂

Mrs Bee

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2015, 09:20 »

You could sling a handful into a pancake batter mix for pancake day.
If you do pancake day where you are.

chrissie B

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2015, 18:29 »
We did a note book in pencilso when some thing comes out its rubbed out and when some things added it inthat space if it will fit , its beem alot better because i can have a look without having to pull it all out.
did the tins as well , got to get out more ha ha
chrissie b
Woman cannot live by bread alone , she must have cake , biscuits cheese and the occasional glass of wine .🍷

Mrs Bee

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2015, 18:56 »
I keep a notebook for my three freezers but I forget to update them when I am busy.

And when I have an event on I have to do a last minute rearrange and shove things in with a brick hammer. :lol: :lol:

I do feel really good when they freezers are tidy and the books up to date.

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 35 queries.