Bags of seeding compost and care!

• 5 Replies

Flagstaffview

Bags of seeding compost and care!
« on: May 20, 2020, 21:20 »
I have just set up a Polytunnel and I have already a small glasshouse. I have the possibility of keeping my compost in another shed. Is this best practice to use the shed as a potting facility? I as this because last year I lost all my strawberries in the greenhouse and I could not work out why, so I intend to use a sulphur candle in it before I use it to grow my seedlings before transferring them to the PT.
Maybe it would be ok to keep the couple of bags of compost in the greenhouse or I are old bags just too unsafe?
I just want to set up a safe system that keeps everything growing.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Bags of seeding compost and care!
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 08:43 »
Can I just check whether you mean new compost that you've bought, new compost that you've made in a compost bin, or used compost from old bags / pots?

My compost bin is outside and I see no reason for putting it indoors.  I keep my new bags of compost in a shed so that they won't get stolen.

I wouldn't keep seedlings in the shed unless the light is sufficient there - generally it won't be enough unless it has a full bank of windows along one side.  Your seedlings will get long and leggy as they draw towards the light source.

What problems do you have in the shed, which you think the sulphur candle will solve?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Flagstaffview

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 14:26 »
Before the new PT I had everything in the greenhouse. I thing nasties got from old open seed compost bags to my plants. I was just asking is it safe to store bags of bought multi purpose/seeding peat in the same place as growing seeds/ young plants.
It is not an allotment just a large garden at home.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 14:41 »
I've always stored a few bags of MP compost under my greenhouse staging with no problems at all - part-used bags are folded over and secured with a brick to keep moisture in and any nasties out.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

jezza

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2020, 22:31 »
Hello i'd put the compost in the shed if you are using it as a potting shed then transfer the sown trays, pots arc into the greenhouse,you mentioned strawberries in the green house, what system are you using to grow them  jezza

snowdrops

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2020, 08:20 »
If you do keep your unopened bags of compost in the greenhouse/poly tunnel be even more aware of the danger on opening of Legionares disease, it’s an issue with opening a bag any way but more so if it’s kept warm I believe.
If you have a potting shed I’d Store most of it in there unless it’s early in the season & cold, then I’d use tge tunnel or greenhouse,seeds germinate faster in warm compost
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

xx
Greenhouse for Care Farm - Advice needed

Started by Agatha on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

11 Replies
Last post January 06, 2015, 18:03
by Kevin67
xx
Pots in grow bags.

Started by andyw on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

4 Replies
Last post May 19, 2012, 08:01
by Totty
xx
Greenhouse grow bags

Started by alanb on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

15 Replies
Last post March 27, 2013, 11:30
by Amilo
xx
Growing spuds in bags

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

5 Replies
Last post January 30, 2018, 16:18
by hamstergbert

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 44 queries.