Autumn raspberries

• 3 Replies

Eblana

Autumn raspberries
« on: December 08, 2013, 22:23 »
I am in the process of building a new raspberry bed. I have healed in my old autumn raspberry canes (5 year old) although they didn't fruit very well this year.  As this is hopefully going to be the permanent home for my autumn raspberries would I be better off getting new canes?

Kajazy

• Experienced Member
Re: Autumn raspberries
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 14:54 »
I thought raspberries produced for years and years - 10 to 15 or more - so I'd be surprised if they needed replacing unless they're heavily diseased. Usually it's a case of looking at their growing environment - they like an acidic soil and a good feed with manure in the spring.

Simjo

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 14:03 »
Most raspberry varieties will continue to fruit well for well over 10 years if looked after.  They are however quite prolific growers (foliage and fruit) and so can take a lot of goodness out of the soil.  If you like the variety you have then try improving the soil with regular mulching and feeding.  Mine are on chalky soil and do absolutely fine so I think it's probably more the availability of nutrients that determines success.  Why not mulch half with plentiful supply of manure and the other half with a leafmould/fertiliser mix and see which does better.

wasthiswise

• Prettiest Pumpkin Grower - 2013
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 23:40 »
Might I suggest you invest in some 'Joan J' canes? You wont regret it. Autumn fruiting, and produce a large crop of mega sized rasps. Noticeably better than any other of the autumn fruiting ones I have (allgold, a.bliss, polka). Planted a short row of Joan J about 13 months ago, had a great crop this year. So I just added another 2 rows.

xx
Are there better Autumn raspberries than Autumn Bliss?

Started by Salmo on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post August 25, 2010, 07:35
by DD.
xx
Autumn Raspberries

Started by oldgrunge on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post November 30, 2017, 13:33
by wrinkly1
xx
Autumn Raspberries

Started by st0ne5ish on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 25, 2011, 22:00
by kermit
xx
Autumn raspberries

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post November 18, 2018, 16:37
by MarkC

Page created in 0.328 seconds with 35 queries.