Newspaper logs

• 26 Replies

Poolfield2

Newspaper logs
« on: October 05, 2008, 09:39 »
Has anyone tried those "formers" for squashing newspaper into a slow burning log for the fire? I believe you have to start with wet newspaper which is putting me off but if they are good once you've managed to dry them out (how in this bloomin weather) I would consider having a go. We always seem to have plenty of papers and I can only use so many in the henhouse.

BigPaddy

• Experienced Member
Newspaper logs
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 21:43 »
I tried them. The problem was getting them to dry. Once dry they burnt well. A bit quicker than wood, but warm enough.
Patrick
Hull, East yorkshire

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Newspaper logs
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 22:05 »
I think they are a bit expensive for what they are.  My brian maade me one, but I only use paper to start my fire, as we get all the old window and door frames we need for burning, so I've never used it.  

I did have a website with a simple one like the one brian made me on it..  basically a wooden box with a lid that fits inside the box with holes at the bottom.  You stuff it full of wet paper, then keep presing it down until as much water as possible goes out of it then stack hem, but like Paddy said, it takes ages for them to dry.

Poolfield2

Newspaper logs
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2008, 23:46 »
Thanks both, I take it then that they are more trouble than they are worth. I just liked the idea of heat for free but drying them would be a big problem even if we had a few dry days.

Knoblauch

Newspaper logs
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 00:53 »
Look on German eBay, you'll get them much cheaper - FOE have them  for£30 in their catalogue, a ripoff.  I saved up cardboard and paper for ages but ended up composting the cardboard, haven't tried burning them yet but have laid by quite a few for emergencies and they'll insulate the loft too.

Poolfield2

Newspaper logs
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 19:01 »
I like the idea of added insulation while waiting to burn them :lol:

backyardbodger

Newspaper logs
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2008, 23:32 »
I soak newspapers (briefly!) in a bucket of soapy water, roll them up as tightly as possible and tie with a bit of wire. They dry in a couple of weeks and then I just chuck them in with the logs.  Not brilliant, but free!

goose

• Experienced Member
Newspaper logs
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2008, 00:54 »
i have one of them log makers and i think they are quite good (I think around £20). I just throw all my shredded documents into a bucket of water and every so often make a brick. yes, they do take a long time to dry, but if you do it through the summer you will have pleanty to keep you going through the winter.

i use some recycled plastic mesh type cannisters that you get from food wholesalers to store mine whilst they are drying (lets the air get around them).  if you plan more long term, they are definately a good use of all your waste paper.  (tip...if you work in an office that uses a shredder and they will let you take the stuff home..even better).

Poolfield2

Newspaper logs
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2008, 20:16 »
Thanks goose that sounds a lot easier than ripping up newspaper and I can get loads of shreddings. I've put an appeal on a local freecycle incase anyone has got bored with theirs.

Poolfield2

Newspaper logs
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2008, 19:44 »
Our local freecycle is very friendly and someone offered to lend me a paper squasher thingy. I have made 3 so far and put them to dry in the polytunnel. It takes a great deal of force to squash the log hard enough to keep it together. I'm no shrinking violet but I struggled. I think if I was designing it, I would make the arms longer to increase the lever length. I seem to remember from my physics lessons that I would get more power out with the same effort in.

goose

• Experienced Member
Newspaper logs
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2008, 11:32 »
mine dont require that much pressure to squash into shape.  perhaps you need to soak the paper for longer.  i usually give it a week or so.

Poolfield2

Newspaper logs
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2008, 22:57 »
It was easier after the paper soaked longer but it was hard to get them out whole, it seems I'm still not squishing them hard enough. I did wonder if the paper was too good quality and so didn't break down easily. I'm going to employ neice  power this weekend and we will use newspaper and see if we get on any better.

Poolfield2

Newspaper logs
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2008, 22:01 »
We used newspaper and 2 niece power and were successful, so we have spent a "ripping" evening getting the next tub of paper ready for tomorrow. Newspaper was so much easier than shredded office paper.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Newspaper logs
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2008, 23:15 »
My pal Richard made a video about these paper logs

PVGUui9XdgI

Maybe of interest?
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Poolfield2

Newspaper logs
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2008, 21:20 »
Now I see why 2 girls aged 8 and 11 struggled :lol:  You do need a fair amount of muscle.

xx
Sawdust Logs. Experiments 1 & 2

Started by Spana on Frugal Living

10 Replies
Last post April 14, 2010, 23:25
by Terrier
xx
Making fire logs from pulp.

Started by hayles62 on Frugal Living

0 Replies
Last post January 12, 2007, 09:16
by hayles62
xx
Newspaper Pot

Started by cadalot on Frugal Living

9 Replies
Last post September 27, 2014, 12:11
by Kristen
xx
Sun newspaper

Started by FRUITFULL on Frugal Living

2 Replies
Last post May 19, 2009, 23:04
by Green-fingered Man

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 38 queries.