why I love MY NEW ALLOTMENT?

• 8 Replies

pvc

why I love MY NEW ALLOTMENT?
« on: February 16, 2011, 15:20 »
just got my new half plot after waiting 2 years .I was offered one last year on a different site but was told that it flooded and needed building up.I thought that I give it a go after several people told me on the site not to ,i  managed to virtually clear the plot and managed to plant various veg and then last july with the heavy rain the inevitable happened everthing was ruined .I was totally gutted so I took advice and gave the plot up,the  committee I was no helpand wanted me to pay for several tons of soil to build it up .I have now got a half a plot just managed to dig it over and remove weeds etc and I have potatoes ,onions garlic waiting to go in,is there  anything I could be doing to be getting on with?bearing in mind that I have 3 month probation period any help or advice would be welcomed . ps fellow alotmenters have been very helpful  thanks

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: why I love MY NEW ALLOTMENT?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 16:44 »
Congrats on your new plot pvc  :)

Sounds like you have plans but for now, what about building compost bins, small fruit/brassica cage, digging in compost/manure or planting fruit (assuming you are having some), or putting in a small shed or tool box if you are allowed.

If you have spent a long time clearing it might be worth covering at least some of the plot with black plastic so you are not continually clearing annual weeds until you get the whole lot planted up.

Finally - remember to take some piccies as we all love looking at what each other are up to on our plots  :D

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 17:19 »
As allotments are few and far between, it is too easy to look at the one offered through rose tinted glasses.    :unsure:   Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

pvc

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 17:27 »
thanks I will take some of your suggestions on board,the plot already had a compost bin  I just need to replace some palllets,I have horse manure but it is  not well rotted and a couple of bags of farm yard manure which I bought while on offer  I will definately think about the brassica cage though , thanks again all new suggestions welcome.

pvc

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 17:31 »
I definately looked through rose tinted glasses for my first one and you are quite right they are too and far between ,the waiting list for my presentone is currently at 67 so Iam quite fortunate thanks tony

lucywil

• http://ourallotments.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 09:26 »
I definately looked through rose tinted glasses for my first one and you are quite right they are too and far between ,the waiting list for my presentone is currently at 67 so Iam quite fortunate thanks tony

WOW 67 people waiting, thats not good, i worry about my list because it nearly went into double figures but have managed to get it down to 7, i hate having to tell people i have a waiting list but i suppose they should expect it really at the moment

pvc

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 18:32 »
you have done well to get your list down to 7 .Most lists in my area are long20+ when I first went on it I was 25th and that why I took the dreaded flooded plot  and so I could not believe my luck when my present became available . :)

plum crumble

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 18:53 »
well done - you must feel so happy!!! :D it is such a shame that there are such long waiting lists
small, Welsh and almost certainly bonkers, but can be tamed with Talisker, if required

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 19:03 »
My list was 97 earlier this month.  Haven't quite managed to get it over the 100 mark yet ...
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Love, Love, Love International Kidney Potatoes "Terroir

Started by johnnyboy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 18, 2009, 16:14
by DD.
xx
Love, love, love - International Kidney Potato

Started by tallulah on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post January 19, 2009, 12:45
by DD.
xx
I love my allotment

Started by snow white on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post May 04, 2020, 23:41
by al78
xx
I LOVE….

Started by rowan57 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 25, 2014, 17:58
by rowan57

Page created in 0.354 seconds with 36 queries.