I love my allotment

• 25 Replies

snow white

I love my allotment
« on: July 20, 2013, 18:45 »
When I took my plot on last November  I thought it would take a couple of years to produce any thing of worth.  It was clay soil that had in the past produced very poor wheat crops.  Well I must be doing something right.  I have had masses of strawberries, huge tasty ones.  My broad bean crop was plentiful and delicious.  My courgettes are going great guns.  Runner beans producing already.  Beautiful large carrots.   In fact evey thing has grown way beyond my expectations.  I am officially a veg grower.. :lol:

Beetroot queen

Re: I love my allotment
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 18:53 »
Well done i love my plot too, it maybe just a piece of ground but its ours.  :wub:

We worked out how much veg we have taken just this year in pounds yesterday and its over £500 that makes it all worth while  :lol: :D

rowan57

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 20:00 »
I love mine, I have what can be a very stressful demanding job working with the superm*arkets and the allotment helps take that stress away, I was also self sufficient in veg last year but too far behind this year.

maxie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 21:18 »
Ive had mine for 20 years,met some very nice people down there,had some great veg,got chickens as well which is a very enjoyable pastime in itself.
Ive done some pile of graft down there as well,but enjoyed most of it  ;)

Ema

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2013, 00:13 »
Well done its a very satisfying time of year really makes all that hard work feel worth it

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2013, 11:44 »
I hated my plot yesterday as it was so weedy. It's got away from me in just a few weeks. How does that happen in the middle of a drought?  :nowink: 

Still, on the plus side it still groans with veg so that cheered me up

Beetroot queen

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 12:28 »
I hated my plot yesterday as it was so weedy. It's got away from me in just a few weeks. How does that happen in the middle of a drought?  :nowink: 

Still, on the plus side it still groans with veg so that cheered me up

We all have days like that, i havent been up for a week and hubby has been left in charge of weeding i am dreading it. He does send regular pics which all look great, i just need to remind myself the camera never lies.

Maybe the bed behind him is the same.......... Or is it.  ::)

compostqueen

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2013, 14:36 »
I have to do mine on my own, and with a big garden at home, it all gets away from me sometimes. I did try and mow the allotment paths but the mower died and try as I might I couldn't get the ruddy thing fired up again  :mad:  Why mowers don't all have electric starts these days I don't know. Makers must assume that users are all  men with rippling muscles. Mowers for old biddies is what I need  >:(  I got the shears out.  A new pair of Wilkinson Sword and I'm not kidding they wouldn't cut butter. They just put a fold in the grass. Is it me or is stuff cr*p these days  :nowink:

Beetroot queen

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2013, 14:39 »
I have to do mine on my own, and with a big garden at home, it all gets away from me sometimes. I did try and mow the allotment paths but the mower died and try as I might I couldn't get the ruddy thing fired up again  :mad:  Why mowers don't all have electric starts these days I don't know. Makers must assume that users are all  men with rippling muscles. Mowers for old biddies is what I need  >:(  I got the shears out.  A new pair of Wilkinson Sword and I'm not kidding they wouldn't cut butter. They just put a fold in the grass. Is it me or is stuff cr*p these days  :nowink:

I think you must have our shears they dont cut anything at all  ::)

compostqueen

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2013, 14:43 »
Glad it's not just me then  :D  There are some days when things just don't go right and you fail to make any inroads into the jobs you had planned  :nowink:

Beetroot queen

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2013, 14:46 »
Glad it's not just me then  :D  There are some days when things just don't go right and you fail to make any inroads into the jobs you had planned  :nowink:

Oh yes we have those days often, my list of jobs to do often has a rollover. Shame no-one looks forward to that rollover as much as the lottery one.  ::) i would happily bin the shears but hubby wont have it, apparently ones that dont work are better than non at all.  ??? I dont agree at all which is why they get thrown to the back of his man shed.

J_B

• Experienced Member
  • Farmer J
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 13:40 »
suggest u get a sharpner that you can fir to your drill, i got one from amazon for  £4 and it worked great and sharpened a lot of my blunt tools.

BobE

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2013, 14:01 »
The test for sharp shears is to cut paper.

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2013, 17:22 »
Went up to mine last night - about 7pm - spent 10 minutes pulling up weeds then just sat on my pallet bench and looked at what I'm growiing, thought a little about what hadn't grown this year, walked around considering ideas for next year and projects to keep me occupied over the winter. Threw some insults at a pair of pigeons who were looking down on me. (Slowly) chased off a few blackbirds. Had a few (pleasant) words with a dog walker who was impressed with the progress the allotment site has made this year. Thought about my friend who I got to know just because he lives in a bungalow 10 metres from my plot - he's had a rough time of it lately.  :(

Yup - love my plot.
(Though not as much as my missus in case she reads this).  ;)

Cheers,
Balders

BobE

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2013, 17:49 »
Went up to mine last night - about 7pm - spent 10 minutes pulling up weeds then just sat on my pallet bench and looked at what I'm growiing, thought a little about what hadn't grown this year, walked around considering ideas for next year and projects to keep me occupied over the winter. Threw some insults at a pair of pigeons who were looking down on me. (Slowly) chased off a few blackbirds. Had a few (pleasant) words with a dog walker who was impressed with the progress the allotment site has made this year. Thought about my friend who I got to know just because he lives in a bungalow 10 metres from my plot - he's had a rough time of it lately.  :(

Yup - love my plot.
(Though not as much as my missus in case she reads this).  ;)

Cheers,
Balders

Hedge your bets  :D :D

xx
Love, Love, Love International Kidney Potatoes "Terroir

Started by johnnyboy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 18, 2009, 16:14
by DD.
xx
Love, love, love - International Kidney Potato

Started by tallulah on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post January 19, 2009, 12:45
by DD.
exclamation
why I love MY NEW ALLOTMENT?

Started by pvc on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 17, 2011, 19:03
by Yorkie
xx
I LOVE….

Started by rowan57 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 25, 2014, 17:58
by rowan57

Page created in 0.396 seconds with 52 queries.