sorry its us again :(

• 5 Replies

bockhamptoners

« on: September 14, 2008, 21:43 »
Sorry to post again so soon, but have a small question about another Country recipe. Fennel Wine, well in fairness if should be called beetroot with a dash of Fennel….anyway it s CJJ Berry recipe; small packet fennel, 3lb beetroot,2lb sugar, 1/2oz citric acid, pinch grape tannin, yeast nutrient and activated yeast + water to fill.
Followed it to the letter, the hydrometer register 18% alcohol at completions and its bubbled away happily for 6 weeks and finally stopped about a week ago. Decided this evening to take a wine thief and taste a small sample……its another OMG ( maybe we are just simply pleased   or   alcoholics   or lucky?)  anyway, its beautiful and has a kick you can detect in the background but and it’s a biggish BUT, there is the slightest feeling of effervescent to it, as if it is just slightly bubbly……… can’t decide if it’s a problem or not……….. can someone advise……..thanks  :D
Kevin & Kate
Us + 4 boyz + 2 dogs + 2 cats + 2 Guinea pigs + 4 chickens + horse (animal insurance is more than the cars!)

SpudtheBinx

• Experienced Member
    • dave and becca blog
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 14:37 »
It just needs degassing by the sounds of it. You can let this happen naturaly over time buy keeping it under airlock for a month or so, or you can whisk it up a couple of times a day for for about three days and keep it under airlock between whisks. Make sure it is racked before whisking though!

bockhamptoners

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2008, 20:57 »
Thanks i'll try that :)
I have two gallons of Crab Apple that have also finished but seem gassy, i'll try it on them to :)

Clampit

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 06:55 »
I wouldn't recommend 'whisking' anything that you have brewed. The less contact with air your brew has, the better.
The only time I would gently stir would be to aggitate the yeast back into suspension if I had a stuck fermentation.

SkipRat

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 00:53 »
Got agree with clampit, I would be inclined to rack off, (assuming its fermented out) and let it degass and clear naturally
I used to work in a helium gas factory, but I walked out, no one talks to me like that.

SpudtheBinx

• Experienced Member
    • dave and becca blog
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 16:20 »
As I said you can do it naturaly too, but you can buy degassers and lots of places recommend using them if you are trying to make a quick wine for quaffing. Don't forget while using a degasser to whisk it up you are creating a layer of co2 that protects it from the air.

Page created in 0.133 seconds with 38 queries.