query over nest box

• 5 Replies

RubyR3d

query over nest box
« on: June 03, 2016, 12:50 »
Ihave 4 hens in a coop that can house up to 10. I originally had 8. The coop had 2 nest boxes one either side, and they were divided into 2 compartments each. Invariably 2 hens would end up in each compartment at night as they do. They are quite roomy for 1 hen. My query is this. A couple of years ago I removed one of these nest boxes which measure 2ft 6"wide by 12" deep by 12" high, to enable me to put the coop flush up against a wall with a piece of wood to replace the nestbox. So I now have a box with the above dimensions with chicken wire across the front and a flap to let down at the back. Right, I am buying 4 more hens to go with the 4 I already have. I am able to split the run in 2 but I was thinking of using the loose box to  put the newbies in overnight and put it in the garage till morning. Would they have enough room just overnight. Also as we will only be down to 1 nestbox attached to the coop will there be enough space for potentially 8 hens to lay. Bearing in mind I usually only get 2 eggs a day if that. If not would they nest in the loose box eventually if I left it on the ground. Blimey I'm sorry just read it back and though it makes sense to me it sounds a bit complicated.  :)

grinling

Re: query over nest box
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 20:36 »
I have 8, though only 7 lay and have 2 nest boxes ( 1 large with a divider). I use the divider so more than 1 can lay.
Problems
my 2nd dominant (top hen no longer lays though visits), does not let other hens in whilst laying
hens prefer to lay where there are eggs, so I will move an egg into the other nest box
hens stand outside moaning, they think if they moan the 1 hen inside will leave.....no

It might be easier fixing the other nest boxes back to the house

RubyR3d

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 20:41 »
Taking that on board then, for the moment could I use the box to take them out of the split run and put them in it overnight to keep them safe in the garage.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2016, 10:36 »
They cuddle up quite tightly at night, so they should be OK in a box that size. 

You would just need to watch them in the morning when they woke up, as there would be nowhere to get away if someone got aggressive.  As long as you let them out early, it should be fine  :)

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 17:17 »
You would need to ensure they do not overheat as space would be tight and they make a lot of heat and it may be warm.  Ventilation also needs to be considered. A larger strong cardboard box may be better with lots of holes.  :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

RubyR3d

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 18:25 »
You would need to ensure they do not overheat as space would be tight and they make a lot of heat and it may be warm.  Ventilation also needs to be considered. A larger strong cardboard box may be better with lots of holes.  :)
.      I put them away at night in a pet carrier with lots of big holes in them. 2 per box. The garage has a cool concrete floor and in the morning they seem to look ok squatting side by side. I have everything ready at night for the morning so they aren't waiting. To be honest the other 4 don't seem to be too bothered by them, the fence between them doesn't get visited very often and there is just soft purring from both sides. I have frontlined all 8 so they smell the same.Fingers crossed I don't think I will have too much bother. They are all rangers.

xx
Poo query

Started by ck2day on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post May 01, 2008, 08:54
by Aunt Sally
xx
maran query

Started by grinling on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 04, 2014, 21:59
by grinling
xx
Perch Query

Started by wildfowler4 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post December 17, 2010, 17:29
by SamnElla
xx
Orpington Query

Started by croad langshan on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 21, 2010, 08:32
by croad langshan

Page created in 0.222 seconds with 35 queries.