No strawberrys

• 3 Replies

Frizzle1

• Experienced Member
No strawberrys
« on: July 30, 2012, 12:25 »
I bought some already potted strawberry plants last year and they were lovely. This year they have had no flowers no fruit and so far no runners. The runners I had taken from them last year are fruiting now, should I start again with new plants, trouble is I love the variety and don't know what it called.

TerryB

• Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition - 2011
  • Experienced Member
Re: No strawberrys
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 16:55 »
If the plants are healthy give them a good feed and another year.
They are not supposed to be at there best untill the second year.
You could also give them a feed with a liquid tomato fertilizer now and you may get some late ones.

Frizzle1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 18:38 »
Thanks for your reply terry. Do you think that maybe it was their second year last year as they were already potted and growing its hard to tell. I bought them already growing in a strawberry planter.from a garden centre but they never had a label. They went from very early until very late with fruit and the strawberries had square bottoms and very large. Don't want to loose them completely as its a lovely variety. I found it rather difficult to take the runners as its a hanging planter not easy. Will feed them again though and see if it makes any difference. Thanks again.

peapod

• Pea Goddess
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 00:01 »
Ive just bought some 50p specials from the garden centre (cheapskate yes I know!)

They were just finishing cropping when I bought them (with a view to taking the runners from also a hanging basket)

They were lovingly transplanted with TLC.  Then they started dying off.  I thought "Oh well, cheap stuff", and cut the dead leaves off and fed haphazardly as I do with plants I think are past it.

Then we got the deluge of rain that blighted the womens race at the Olympics.  They are rejuvenated and Ive learned a great lesson this year.  Dont ever let strawbs dry out!

Im sure we will both get runners, it will just take more planning  ;)
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

xx
Strawberrys

Started by tezmac on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 07, 2009, 15:08
by poppies
xx
Strawberrys

Started by colin120 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 08, 2015, 09:20
by sunshineband
xx
strawberrys

Started by harry on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 11, 2010, 20:53
by Trikidiki
xx
strawberrys

Started by BELLS PLOT on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 20, 2010, 20:08
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.316 seconds with 38 queries.