Chicken Boarding?

• 12 Replies

mccudden

Chicken Boarding?
« on: July 05, 2010, 10:59 »
Does anyone know of anywhere that will look after chickens whilst you are away.   We are going away for three weeks in August - is there such a thing as chicken boarding kennels?   We have 4 chickens and live in Somerset. 

Dabhand

Re: Chicken Boarding?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 11:05 »
Hi Mccudden,  welcome to the forums... I see you have just joined.  I don't know of anyone in your area that does chicken board but I am sure you will have lots of offers of help as this is a very friendly and helpful group.   I live in Lincolnshire and very rarely go away but I can see the advantages of having a chicken buddy close by who will look after my 4 chickens in return for me looking after theirs when they go away. 

I hope you get lots of offers of help.. 

Don't forget to go along to the introduction section and tell us a bit about yourself..

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 12:47 »
Have you not got a neighbour who would be willing to look after them in exchange for some eggs.

I am lucky that I have my daughter to look after them.

jhub

• jane
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 13:00 »
Hi Mccudden

it's probably too far for you but there is a place in Hampshire that boards chooks (approx £16 for 3 chickens for 1 week)
I googled 'chicken boarding'
Good luck

Curlytop

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 13:11 »
Hello mccudden and welcome

I contacted Pet Care At Home, the reason being I didn't really what to ask a neighbour to let my hens out at 6am so I wanted to know my options. They said the cost would be £9.50 per visit but they would do the evening one a bit cheaper as it was only shutting the pop hole. It is a bit expensive but not unreasonable considering the early start, however I haven't used them as yet but may have to if I can't find a neighbour who doesn't mind an early rise but I may ask a neighbour to shut them up at night which limits to one visit a day.

ehs284

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2010, 13:32 »
At that price (which isn't unreasonable for a business) you could get an automatic pop hole and just ask the neighbours to check now and again.

Curlytop

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 12:19 »
At that price (which isn't unreasonable for a business) you could get an automatic pop hole and just ask the neighbours to check now and again.

That is an option which I will look into as that would also mean I don't have to jump out of bed at the weekends  :)

NormandyMary

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 17:40 »
I have an automatic pop hole, its called Miss Gray, or Monty. Each night, I block my small entrance to the henhouse with a board, with a large stone behind it to keep it in place. Every morning, either Miss Gray or Monty (before his injuries) headbutts the board and knock it away allowing them to get out.
Whoever said that chooks were stupid?

henamoured

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 18:46 »
Ah my hens aren't the only clever ones then!
I've trained mine to open their door too - The coop door is on a hinge and every few days during the hot weather I left it ajar over night a bit less and my top hen (who is very clever as well as very greedy) pushes it open every morning to get her breakfast. I can now close it completely and she will open it every day - pity she can't close it herself too at bedtime! (The run door is locked so they're still completely secure).

Fisherman

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 22:16 »
I had a similar problem and decided the best options were: -

A treadle feeder capable of feeding 4 or 5 hens for 2 - 3 weeks  (30 Quid ish).
An automatic waterer with a big enough supply for 2 - 3 weeks (10 Quid ish plus a header tank).
An automatic pophole opener (made it myself). A bit complicated and probably easier to buy.

Then you just need someone to collect the eggs and check everything is OK with a few pointers i.e. waterer full, food OK, pen secure etc. If you are away for a few weeks you probably need to have someone clean the coop out 2 or 3 times. They will be well rewarded with 2 or 3 dozen eggs or more!

Sassy

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 09:01 »
Another suggestion would be to try some of the dog walking outfits that have sprung up. Most of them do other pets a well. I have a friend who does dog walking and they would be happy to do hens Yorkshire, of course, being slightly too far. Enjoy your holidays :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Flowerpower136

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2010, 11:57 »
It is a problem isn't it?

The only reason I agree to leave my girls is that we have a bird bonkers gamekeeper in our village, and she calls in to visit and see to my girls on her rounds.   

My next door neighbours are lovely and would look after the girls, but I'm never sure they'd give them the No 1 prioirty treatment that they need!  Have a feeling they'd be more likely to feed their children before they'd feed my girls.   I know, it's shocking :ohmy:  Whereas with my gamekeeper friend, birds come first, so I know they are in good hands.

Have you no other chicken people near by?   

klou

« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2010, 12:10 »
I have a friendly neighbour who comes in twice a day. We keep in touch by mobile in case of a problem. I leave notes in the kitchen on food and anything else I think she should know.  Each holiday things have gone well and she is repaid by keeping the eggs. .. and a little something on our return.
Hope this helps.

xx
Chicken Boarding

Started by JMF on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 11, 2013, 19:24
by thechicken
xx
Chicken Boarding

Started by Mr Toolbag on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post December 09, 2011, 12:12
by camillerim
xx
Boarding

Started by chris73 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 22, 2022, 17:26
by New shoot
xx
Advice for Boarding Chickens

Started by tam on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 04, 2013, 11:56
by Kenilworth

Page created in 0.226 seconds with 35 queries.