Under the weather.

• 23 Replies

Hayley'sHens

• Experienced Member
Under the weather.
« on: May 11, 2010, 13:43 »
Clover my skyline is all out of sorts. Stood, Tail down, hunched up, eyes closed. She approx 26 weeks old. Hasnt layed for 4 days.
I've given her a bath, natural yogurt on a piece of apple and she's had a bit of tomatoe.  She isnt drinking much but has a full croup so must be eatting layers when im not looking. I put her in the nest box but she has come back out into the run. They were all wormed about 2 weeks ago, so i dont think its worms.
Any ideas?

ehs284

Re: Under the weather.
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 14:06 »
Can you check her crop last thing at night and first thing in the morning to be sure that it is emtying? Did you give her a massage and feel for any stuck eggs when you bathed her?

Hayley'sHens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 14:23 »
Had a feel for eggs, and couldnt feel any, But to be honest, I havent done it before so not sure that i was doing it right! Her vent is clear though. Will check her crop tonight and again in the morning.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 16:01 »
Does she normally lay everyday? could she be egg bound?

Hayley'sHens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 16:17 »
Egg bound was my first thought Lizzy, but i cant feel anything  :wub: I really dont know. Shes walking around now with her eyes open but still looks like she is feeling sorry for herself, tail down etc

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 07:13 »
what does her crop feel like this morning - is it still full? if so then consider impacted crop.
Staffies are softer than you think.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 07:27 »
If her crop is ok this morning, and she still hasnt laid i would still be thinking egg bound, or even a softie on route. Im pressuming she has no coughs, sneezes, wheeses, bubbly eyes or nose otherwise you would have mentioned them. If one of my hens is egg bound i put a (human)calcium tablet in her water, and i put her in a hot (not hot enough to hurt them) bath. It must be deep enough to cover her vent and it must be for around 40mins, longer if she lets you. If Clover still hasnt passed a softie/laid an egg/crop fine but she is uwell you really need to get her to the vets as she has been of colour for a few days now and you could risk loosing her if it goes on much longer. good luck and lt us know what happens

Hayley'sHens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 07:36 »
I've checked her crop again, Its empty. Comb and waffles tinged blue though this morning, What could that be? She isnt gaping, but could it still be gape worm, I've read that, that can cause a blue tinge.
No signs of eggs, will bring her back in and bath her again after i've done the school run this morning.

joyfull

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 07:42 »
so can heart trouble and a lack of vit B, try giving her a touch of marmite on toast (only a little bit as it's very salty). If they haven't been wormed start them all on flubenvet immediatly (will kill all worms).

Hayley'sHens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 07:49 »
They were wormed about 2 weeks ago Joy, I'll get the toast on and do marmite now, Do you think she'll mind if i share?  :lol: :lol: (before she starts eating it ofcourse  :lol:)

joyfull

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 07:51 »
should be ok then as far as gape is concerned - if you used flubenvet, however if you used verm x then this doesn't cover gape worm.

Hawkins

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 08:11 »
Im sure she wont mind you sharing the toast but not too much.

Let us know how she gets on.
Em  

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

ehs284

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 08:43 »
All above OK. Can you check whether she has got to some herbicide/fertiliser/ etc? Blue suggests lack of oxygen in the blood so can be heart and circulation as said above or could be due to nitrite/nitrate. This can be due to ingestion of nitrates or can be due to bacterial infection in the gut - if the latter she would be expected to have diarrhoea. Is her temperature OK (feel under wing of this one and another well bird to compare - use the same hand)? Please let us know how things are. Best of luck.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2010, 08:50 »
Seriously hunny, you need to ring the vet, there are all manner of things that could cause blue tinged comb, if she were mine, i would want a vet to see her asap! ;)

Hayley'sHens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2010, 10:43 »
 :( :( :( I rang the vet when I got back from school run and read replies, Clover died on the way  :( :( She is the first adult bird i've lost and im sat here in tears now  :(

xx
We're due some BAD weather so.....?

Started by Goldfinger on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post November 22, 2010, 20:06
by Goldfinger
xx
Wet weather

Started by 22fox on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 22, 2010, 20:31
by janet12000
xx
Hot weather 35c

Started by Beano on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 18, 2022, 17:45
by snowdrops
xx
Under the weather!!!

Started by Molly Hen on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post January 18, 2009, 19:27
by Molly Hen

Page created in 0.25 seconds with 36 queries.