S/Steel

• 7 Replies

slow_worm

• Experienced Member
S/Steel
« on: February 19, 2007, 13:57 »
I have just started an allotment.  One of the older hands has recommended a stainless steel spade and even gave me a demo of his compared to mine!  The clay soil sticks to regular steel spades but the stainless blade is fantastic and should make digging easier I hope!
There is something infinitely healing in the repeated refrains of nature? the assurance that dawn comes after night, and spring after winter. -   Rachel Carson

muntjac

S/Steel
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 15:07 »
it does but  they cost three times as much . if you rub yours down with cooking oil before and after use you will get the same results for a spade costing a £ 10  :lol: and a 3 litre cooking oil is only £ 1.50p ansd im still on the same one from 4 yrs back  :wink:
still alive /............

fluffypebble

S/Steel
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 15:33 »
I got my stainless steel spade (and fork and rake and hoe) with ash handle from Wilco's it cost me £10.  Used it for the first time yeaterday and it is quite good - kept chopping worms in half, by accident.
http://10.UploadMirror.com/uploaded/1/646/glitter_maker_03_04_2007_03_32_52_22128.gif[/img]

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
A weekend wasted is not a wasted weekend.

Bigbadfrankie

S/Steel
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 17:40 »
hi slow_worm.

I just dropped big hints and got the stainless for Christmas :D I think it is better. But not essential. You will find that you can spend a fortune getting kitted up. Best to spread this over a few years. A new toy every few months. You might find a second hand greenhouse for the price or a SS spade and I know which I would have first.
always have a target
and an objective.

shaun

S/Steel
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 18:21 »
stainless steel spades and forks are quite expensive for a decent one anyhow.if you know some one who does a bit of shot blasting (an industrial painter) get them to give the steel spade or fork a quick blast with plastic beads and that polishes it up no end after that keep it clean and oiled,never leave soil/clay to dry on it as that etches the face off and your back to square one with a not very slippy tool.
feed the soil not the plants
organicish
you learn gardening by making mistakes

Eristic

• Experienced Member
    • http://downtheplot.com/index.php
S/Steel
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 18:55 »
Aquire yourself a paint stripper tool and keep it handy for a sneaky break at the end of each row while you clean the spade. Personally I think stainless steel spades are overrated and prone to snapping.

slow_worm

• Experienced Member
S/Steel
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 13:50 »
Thanks guys for your comments... already ordered one I'm afraid a spear & jackson one.
I saw some regular steel spades in the stores for the same price! so the decision was made!

Bigbadfrankie

S/Steel
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2007, 18:18 »
Quote from: "Eristic"
Aquire yourself a paint stripper tool and keep it handy for a sneaky break at the end of each row while you clean the spade. Personally I think stainless steel spades are overrated and prone to snapping.

Crikey how strong are you :?:

xx
Steel in the field

Started by Bigbadfrankie on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post October 04, 2007, 22:57
by Bigbadfrankie
xx
Stainless steel spade.

Started by allot2learn on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post July 15, 2012, 19:45
by JayG
xx
Rust prevention for carbon steel tools?

Started by DanielCoffey on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post June 11, 2023, 14:08
by DanielCoffey
xx
Thin sheet steel on a circular saw bench?

Started by Kleftiwallah on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post March 03, 2011, 18:10
by Kleftiwallah

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 36 queries.