Cockerel attacking

• 18 Replies

blulagoo

• Experienced Member
Cockerel attacking
« on: July 27, 2008, 20:50 »
Hi, our cockerel has started attacking the children when they go into the garden - flying at their legs (in shorts!) and scratching them, although they are more frightened of the flapping wings I think.

He has tried running up behind me a couple of times but I shout and then pick him up (don't recommend that the children do this).

Anything anyone can suggest to stop him, otherwise it will be bye bye Fidget and we were hoping for babies.......

Roughlee Handled

Cockerel attacking
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 21:08 »
Just a thought are your children wearing shorts?  I found out today that like my dogs my girls dont like the water jet on the hose pipe.(trying to keep them away while I was washing out the coop honest.)  What about your kid getting water pistols and firing at him when he goes for them? Oh and you as well.  The water pistol not your kids firing at you.
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

blulagoo

• Experienced Member
Cockerel attacking
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 21:35 »
Thanks Roughlee - will try the water pistols. Yes the children were wearing shorts not the cockerel (now there is a thought Babe!)

I thought he might think they were chicken legs or a threat to the ladies! I have suggested they wear long legged trousers but it is very hot at the moment.

Roughlee Handled

Cockerel attacking
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 07:10 »
mmmmm chikens wearing long legged trousers.

blulagoo

• Experienced Member
Cockerel attacking
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 16:49 »
Better than short skirts!

Roughlee Handled

Cockerel attacking
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 20:14 »
I dont know a tartern skirt would look good on one of my ex batts what about a sarong?

babe

• elvis king of chooks
Cockerel attacking
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 20:44 »
Quote from: "blulagoo"
Yes the children were wearing shorts not the cockerel (now there is a thought Babe!)

alright boogieloogie dont blame me if you've started dressing up your boys :wink:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

as for mr cocky cockerel.... grab him by his legs, and hold him hanging upside down.

gently push his head down and cover his eyes.

it should calm him right down and show him he's not at the top of the pecking order you are.

if the kiddies can be big and brave help them do it too.  but don't let them do that swinging over the head bucket trick..... chooks really don't like that much :?

if that fails, show him a big roasting pan and a box of paxo.... and sternly tell him to behave or else his new coop will be rather hot  :twisted:

Roughlee Handled

Cockerel attacking
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2008, 21:00 »
LMAO like it babe.

blulagoo

• Experienced Member
Cockerel attacking
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2008, 21:07 »
We are seriously considering the paxo option. He heads straight for confrontation with my daughter (9) so i am picking him up as soon as we catch him - he seems to have stopped trying to run up behind me to attack so I think I will try and help the children be more assertive with him (such a shame 'cos they love going to check for eggies and are now getting scared to do so by themselves).

blulagoo

• Experienced Member
Cockerel attacking
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 23:44 »
Well today he managed to jump / fly the 1.2m fence to get my daughter - and she wasn't too happy I can tell you. He pecked onto her shirt and wouldn't let go - luckily he didn't have any skin in the peck. Then he flapped his wings a lot and tried scratching - luckily she had put long trousers on and her wellies.

He may be on his way out or made a permanent prisoner in the run with a roof - which I really didn't want to do as they love ranging all day.

HELP!!!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Cockerel attacking
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 23:52 »
Why have you got a cockerel blulagoo.  Do you want to breed from him ?

Oliveview

Cockerel attacking
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2008, 08:19 »
Our cockerel was attacking the hens (new hens) he was being really nasty, so we gave him time out at a neighbours for a few days then got him back when the hens had calmed down.  The peace only lasted for a couple of hours, he was back in full attack at some of the hens again.....so Colin went to the neighbours and the paxo route :(   The hens are so much friendlier without Colin bossing them about.  Shame, he was shuch a handsome bird too. :cry:
Pamela

jammy

Cockerel attacking
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 08:19 »
Quote from: "babe"

but don't let them do that swinging over the head bucket trick..... chooks really don't like that much :?

rofl babe, I now have tea and toast all over my screen :lol:

blulagoo

• Experienced Member
Cockerel attacking
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 09:01 »
Auntie

We got the first two as chicks from Living Eggs at school so we didn'tknow what sex they were. My daughter chose the white one (fidget the now cockerel) so it is a sort of pet - but as it is now terrorising her I thinks it is going. How do you think the four girlies would react to a new hen if we take away the cockerel (I am sure daughter would not be too upset if we got a girl to replace him.

Roughlee Handled

Cockerel attacking
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2008, 09:30 »
I have been told better to introduce more than one as this all the pecking attention is not directed at one chicken. Also means you get more!!!! :D

xx
hen and cockerel attacking?

Started by mias chooks on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 12, 2009, 16:04
by joyfull
xx
Cockerel attacking.

Started by chloe on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post June 08, 2010, 10:59
by gsc
xx
cockerel attacking us

Started by upthetump on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post April 04, 2008, 15:45
by upthetump
xx
Help! my cockerel has started attacking me ...

Started by silkiechick on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post December 03, 2011, 21:10
by hillfooter

Page created in 0.216 seconds with 34 queries.