Rust prevention for carbon steel tools?

• 4 Replies

DanielCoffey

Rust prevention for carbon steel tools?
« on: June 08, 2023, 11:39 »
I am about to receive a Japanese Sickle with a blade that will be prone to surface rust and I am wondering how folks deal with the issue?

The blade is a hard carbon steel cutting edge forged between two mild steel layers for strength. I have been advised it will be susceptible to surface rust when stored in the garage and that I should oil it.

I was wondering about keeping a small pot with a dribble of clean motor oil and a rag to give it a quick wipe after each use but wonder if critters will take advantage of the rag or oil as a food source?

How do you look after steel (non-stainless) tools?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Rust prevention for carbon steel tools?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2023, 12:53 »
I have a few Japanese gardening tools from this place. The way the Japanese look after them is using camellia oil.

https://www.niwaki.com/cleaning/

You can substitute another light oil for this like almond oil.  You will need to regularly sharpen the blade, but that together with oil will keep them good for years.

I keep my tools inside the house. The largest one lives in the cupboard under the stairs. The others are hand tools and live in my gardening tool bag that I take to the plot. I keep the bag in the spare bedroom.

DanielCoffey

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2023, 13:59 »
Thank you - I had seen something about that Camellia oil when I was looking for the sickle but didn't know what it was.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2023, 02:22 »
Thank you - I had seen something about that Camellia oil when I was looking for the sickle but didn't know what it was.

For a time, my youngest son collected some replicas of medieval swords that are made of carbon steel.  (He is an archaeology major at the University of Georgia, hence the interest).

To clean and protect them, he used mineral oil, of the type sometimes used to seal and waterproof wooden or bamboo cutting boards.  It seems to have worked.  I think that if I had a choice, I would probably go with the recommended Camellia oil if you can get it.  Mineral oil would be a second choice.  Get the cutting surfaces clean and dry before applying oil.

If at all possible, I would store them indoors somewhere dry and clean.  A storage box with a gasket lid would help control the moisture.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

DanielCoffey

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2023, 14:08 »
I appreciate the tips. I bought some Camellia Oil after a bit of reading about it.

While there is 100% pure cold-pressed, that tends to be for food or Aromatherapy use. Tools and knives tend to use the blended Camellia and Light Parafin Oil to stabilise the seed oil and prevent it going rancid.

I also picked up a Garryson carbide block for rust removal and a pair of stones with one curved side in 180 / 1000 grit for sickle sharpening.

Linseed arrives today to deal with the handle. I noticed from the seller's pictures that the Sickle comes with some labels stuck on so I will be using some IPA to dissolve the adhesive and the ol' Spokeshave if there is any varnish.

xx
Remove rust from your old tools with a car battery charger

Started by Swing Swang on Equipment Shed

9 Replies
Last post April 24, 2011, 19:06
by grendel
xx
S/Steel

Started by slow_worm on Equipment Shed

7 Replies
Last post February 21, 2007, 18:18
by Bigbadfrankie
xx
Steel in the field

Started by Bigbadfrankie on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post October 04, 2007, 22:57
by Bigbadfrankie
xx
Stainless steel spade.

Started by allot2learn on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post July 15, 2012, 19:45
by JayG

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 44 queries.