Which pure breed to add to ex-commercial flock?

• 2 Replies

MarthaB

Which pure breed to add to ex-commercial flock?
« on: February 15, 2022, 09:57 »
Hi everyone!

I currently have a wonderful little group of three ex-commercial hens and one little cockerel who I love lots. We have a little bit of extra space at the moment (plenty of free ranging but basing this on secure run space as theyre currently in lockdown plus there are times during the summer etc when Im not home when they have to stay in their run) and although in the long term we will rescue some more ex-commercials when our bigger run is finished Id love to have a couple of pure breed hens.

My reasons are a little selfish I guess. Id love a couple of ladies who are not as prone to health issues but who will fit in well with my rescues present & future. Theyd first & foremost be pets, but I must admit were missing the eggs as our girls arent laying anymore (one has just had a hormone implant as has had a few issues- fingers crossed it works), so a few eggs would be great but not the most important thing.

Anyway, that was a bit of a long winded back story to my question of- what pure breeds would fit in well with ex-commercials? I spotted faverolles which sound & look amazing but might be susceptible to bullying I think? Orpingtons sound good, but perhaps there are reasons Im unaware of that mean they wouldnt be a good match.

Buying is all fairly new to me as all our pets are rescues, so feel a bit bad but as were in the process of sizing up our facilities it wont be long until another group of ex-commercials can join us.

thanks in advance!

☺️

grinling

Re: Which pure breed to add to ex-commercial flock?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2022, 13:52 »
Any breed can cause bullying, but try to stick to similar size chickens. You have a cockerel, which normally serves about 6 hens and he normally stops anti social behavour. You can get younger POL hens, rather than excommercial hens for eggs through winter. You can also get chicks and raise them yourself? Autosex breed is best.

steven c

• Experienced Member
Re: Which pure breed to add to ex-commercial flock?
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2022, 11:43 »
we have in the past had wellsummers and black rocks both very hardy and good layers there are black rock agents around who would have different age pullets  good luck with your choice. as stated i think you should be ready for some bullying when introducing new hens to a flock.
from bow like to grow

xx
Hybrid or pure breed

Started by audi on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 12, 2010, 21:25
by orchardlady
xx
what is a good pure breed of chicken that is quite rare but good to breed or buy

Started by alotment shed on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 28, 2009, 17:02
by Allotment_Guy
xx
Telling a hybrid from a pure breed

Started by SarahJC on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post August 23, 2010, 11:05
by SarahJC
xx
What happens if a hybrid and pure breed mate?

Started by Craigx on The Hen House

26 Replies
Last post December 21, 2012, 20:30
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.237 seconds with 35 queries.