Wolseley Merry Tiller engine

• 4 Replies

John Wrigg

Wolseley Merry Tiller engine
« on: July 13, 2021, 13:32 »
Hi, everyone,
I help to run a community farm in Barton-upon-Humber, which aims to provide care for people who are lonely or depressed. We have only recently started, and have received some donations of equipment, including 2 Merry Tillers. One has clearly had an engine transplant (receiving  a Honda Power unit), but the other appears to have its original B & S engine. The machine is a model 714394, serial no M122965, but I have yet to locate the engine nos. Unfortunately, the plug lead has been pulled off (easy to fix), but there is a red lead attached to the coil, which has a free end. To what should it be attached, and whereabouts on the engine is it located?

Many thanks for any help which you can offer. By the way, if anyone is interested, our website is
EcoSerenity Project (Barton) CIC - Mental Health Serenity & Green Space Education in Barton-Upon-Humber

R Tallentire

• Experienced Member
Re: Wolseley Merry Tiller engine
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2021, 08:52 »
On original coils it goes down behind the flywheel to the points. Another goes from the points to a brass contact strip on the throttle mechanism. When you pull the throttle back far enough, one of the throttle levers touches the strip and shorts the wire to earth, killing the spark. If a contactless coil has been put there to replace the original, the lead will go direct from coil to brass strip. Plug lead won't be an easy fix, as they are moulded into the coil on all but very early magnetos, and your machine is from about 1972. Usually easiest to get a replacement contactless coil/lead assembly.
R Tallentire

John Wrigg

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2021, 10:39 »
Ok. Thanks for that information. Can you tell me where to obtain a replacement coil/lead assembly, and are there any problems in fitting one?

R Tallentire

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2021, 12:49 »
I would go for Garden Hire Spares, last time I looked they stocked 3 coils for the same engine, cheapo Chinese, an "aftermarket" and genuine B & S. I usually go for the aftermarket version. You need to know if your engine is 3hp, 4hp or 5hp to get the right size. Details are on the fan cowl behind the air filter, stamped very faintly, so rust can hide them. The "air gap" between flywheel magnets and armature is important and depends on engine size.

John Wrigg

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2021, 16:29 »
Thanks again for that. I intend to remove the motor on Friday, and try to fully identify it. It's definitely a 5hp, but any id marks will only surface after a wire brush has been applied. Hopefully, I'll have a more positive response in the next few days.

xx
non starting merry tiller 1978 white engine curvy handle engine model 130282

Started by T Howell on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post August 04, 2014, 11:24
by T Howell
xx
Wolseley Merry Tiller help.

Started by aardvark on Equipment Shed

41 Replies
Last post April 27, 2017, 20:57
by jezza
question
Wolseley Merry Tiller

Started by DaveMort on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post May 10, 2023, 08:42
by DaveMort
smiley
WOLSELEY MAJOR MERRY TILLER CULTIVATOR

Started by MaryM on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post June 09, 2013, 08:21
by MaryM

Page created in 0.156 seconds with 35 queries.