Eggs on a plane???

• 9 Replies

orchardlady

Eggs on a plane???
« on: August 08, 2011, 09:45 »
I'm going to Turkey for  week to a self catering apartment. I never if at all possible buy eggs from a shop or supermarket. What do you think the customs guys would do/say/think if I tooK half a dozen on the plane wrapped in bubble wrap? It's just the two of us so that would be plenty.

Bearing in mind that Turkey is out of Europe.

Orchardlady :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Eggs on a plane???
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 09:50 »
meat and dairy legally seems to be a no no and those who do without any problems all put the food in their hold luggage - will this not freeze the eggs?
Staffies are softer than you think.

orchardlady

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 10:18 »
Well... my shampoo etc never arrives frozen so I don't think that would be a problem in the hold. I've taken eggs on a plane as hand luggage to Scotland and when asked just said they were for my parents..which of course they were. It's just the out of Europe thing.

OL

carolbriar

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 10:21 »
I have taken eggs in my suitcase which has gone in the hold and they have been absolutely fine.  I took them from Northern Ireland to Stansted and there were never any questions asked.  I did phone the airport once and ask about taking them in my hand luggage and they said no but obviously it depends who you get at security on the day as some people have taken them in their hand luggage without problems!
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

Spana

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 11:06 »
I wouldn't chance being held up in customs for a few eggs, but thats just me.  :)

hillfooter

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 03:01 »
I would think if you asked or they were found in your hand luggage they would almost certainly not be allowed and in today's anti-terriorist enbiroment you could expose yourself to some scrutiny if they were found in your hand or hold luggage. 

I think the decompression is more likely a problem than freezing in the hold. 

I wouldn't risk it on either count.

HF
Truth through science.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 03:07 »
I would put them in my hand luggage (well wrapped) and declare them at customs.  As long as you are honest and declare them, the worst that can happen is they will take them away from you.

That is the kind of thing I would do and have my hubby rolling his eyes.  ::)  He works in a different city than the one we live in, so spends a lot of time in airports every week.  When I travel with him he always gets frustrated because of me setting off metal detectors (yes I do need to wear that skirt with the giant decorative belt buckle!  And yes I do need to wear that much bling!)  :lol:

Have a lovely holiday, Orchardlady, and make sure you show us lots of holiday snaps on your return.  :)

Sassy

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 08:27 »
Is there a chance the eggs could explode if in an unpressurised hold? :(
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 08:33 »
after watching how some bags are loaded/off loaded and receiving damaged cases at the other end then I would worry about the eggs getting smashed. This is the same scenario at the carousel where people are in so much of a hurry to grab their cases they don't care about smashing anybody else's property.

hillfooter

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 20:21 »
after watching how some bags are loaded/off loaded and receiving damaged cases at the other end then I would worry about the eggs getting smashed. This is the same scenario at the carousel where people are in so much of a hurry to grab their cases they don't care about smashing anybody else's property.

Scrabbled egg is still quite nice though :tongue2:

HF

Page created in 0.273 seconds with 37 queries.