Silly question about red mite

• 17 Replies

Carolf

• Experienced Member
Re: Silly question about red mite
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2011, 14:11 »
So far, I've been lucky and not had to deal with the the little blighters, but are red mite the same as red spider mite you see in the garden? I have see a few of these outside on a concrete wall in full sunlight, but don't think that they are the same thing.

No, they are different things Helena, the poultry red mite are even smaller than the red spider mites and v. light grey or whitish or black in colour until they feed on teh chickens, then they turn red.

Nasty little blighters!

Phew  ???  I did the coop this morning with the slurry mix and I covered everything I could - including myself  :(  I had the bases out of the nesting box and roosting house and painted them outside and when I went to go and see how they were drying I saw 2 little bright red specks running along the top of one bases  :blink: 
Ok - I admit it, I hit panic stations, ran into the house (after squishing said red specks), logged onto the forum and scoured it to see what these little blighters look like (the red mite that is).  Having read that post I can now breath normally again as I suspect they were these little spider doodees. 

Right, now to get back out there and put the coop back together again  :happy:
When I was young we used to go 'skinny dipping,' now I just 'chunky dunk.'

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2011, 17:02 »
I spent ages a few weeks ago squishing hundred of the other red spider mites on our stone wall and dusted with diatom.  I couldn't understand why they were out in the daylight on a red not day.  Then I googled them and found there are several different mites with similar names.  The ones I dispatched attack plants so I feel I was justified!   :wub:
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

Madrat

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2011, 19:02 »
:ohmy:

I always thought red mites and red spider mites were the same thing.

I pulled a bit of wood of the coop today to find a huge colony of the little *  :mad:

15lt of Smite later and the best part of a bottle of talc (diatom powder on order) and a sun burnt back  ??? and the coop is back together.

I thought the girls wouldn’t go into the roost if there were mites, but obviously that’s wrong.

xx
silly question

Started by jimroden on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post May 23, 2008, 00:07
by muntjac
question
silly egg question

Started by newatthis on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post July 29, 2010, 08:25
by newatthis
xx
Maybe a silly question...

Started by Neelam on The Hen House

36 Replies
Last post October 16, 2013, 19:26
by Neelam
xx
Silly question I know

Started by ali2 on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 04, 2010, 09:22
by ali2

Page created in 0.221 seconds with 35 queries.