Carrots for pots

• 5 Replies

penance

Carrots for pots
« on: February 06, 2009, 19:36 »
I've been chatting to my sister, who has no interest in gardening of any type and so has a garden size patio. She thinks im an old fogey because i go to garden centers, she's 43 and 5 years older than me :dry:

Anyway, it turns out her two young daughters love carrots, her nieghbour grows veg and passes nice fresh carrots over the fence for the girls to munch.

I have managed to persuade sister that she can grow carrots in pots for her daughters, Result!!!

Now, i have only ever grown carrots in beds and have no idea what varieties are good for pots. I'm thinking a few 12" pots with some multi purpose compost. They don't want big crops, just the idea of the girls growing a few of there own.

I know i can read the catalogues and they'll tell me what they think is good for pots but I think it better to hear the views of people that have actually done it.

So, whats your thoughts, what carrot seed should I be getting for them??
What growing medium would you use in a pot?
Am I an old fogey?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 19:39 by penance »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Carrots for pots
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 20:11 »
I like these
http://www.plantsofdistinction.co.uk/acatalog/New_Vegetable_Seeds_CARROT.html#a0131B

No way are you an old fogey, just cos you want to grow decent veg. I use multipurpose compo with a some soil sieved in. Don't forget to cover against fly or put them up higher than couple of foot. Think they'd probably like a deeper container tho...i grow mine in tubs about 16 in deep. If you haven't got anything deeper you could try the little round carrots  http://www.mr-fothergills.co.uk/catalogue/product/2534-1/

Good luck

Duracell

• www.nrsarescue.org
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 20:14 »
I bought some parmex which grow round rather than long and am going to try those in pots this year. They seem to be recomended most places I looked and are quite fast maturing so good for kids. Last years crop was pretty bad of regular carrots in pots, can't remember what type they were though.

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 20:19 »
Sounds like you are a young fogey, penance. You have to be at least 90 to be an old fogey. What is a fogey anyway?

I grow Flak carrots in an old water tank from a house loft. I get a very good crop with no carrot fly in them. I use bought compost from a garden centre so the carrots are clean and can be pulled out with the fingers.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 20:21 by azubah »

vegmandan

• allotment-diary
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 22:18 »
Amsterdam Forcing are a pretty small variety which should do ok in pots. :)
Click my little globe to visit my Veg growing Website.

Stripey_cat

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2009, 13:43 »
Parmex do fine in normal window boxes, so 12" is plenty of depth.  I'd be tempted to try some Amsterdam Forcing types too.

xx
carrots in pots

Started by DadBear on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 30, 2007, 16:07
by DadBear
xx
Carrots in pots

Started by bluelou on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 14, 2010, 09:53
by bluelou
xx
growing carrots in pots

Started by alancas on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 27, 2020, 08:50
by Mr Dog
xx
Carrots in paper pots.

Started by Riala on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 01, 2009, 08:55
by Riala

Page created in 0.379 seconds with 40 queries.