How many types of seed do you have?

• 21 Replies

mjg000

• Winner, Prettiest Pumpkin - 2015
How many types of seed do you have?
« on: January 05, 2017, 17:29 »
 I have just completed a spreadsheet of the seeds I have in 3 large-ish plastic boxes.  Total number of varieties is 250.  Some have 2, 3, or even 4 packets of a variety!  I have 15 varieties of Tomatoes, 14 of Courgette and Squash, 10 of beans (dwarf & climbing, runner and French, in various colours) 7 types of pea etc. etc.

I am waiting expectantly for the new varieties to arrive from the seed circle.......

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: How many types of seed do you have?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 18:08 »
Amazing how they build up, isn't it? lol

I didn't realise quite how many varieties of chilli or tomato I had, although I knew it was a fair few, but it is was Winter squashes that blew me away, with nineteen........  and yes, some were ones I bought recently.

I could cover both plots with those and still have seed left 😂😂🎃🎃
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

oldgrunge

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 18:41 »
You must have a really big plot mjg000 😄
We come from the earth, we return to the earth, and in between we garden.

mjg000

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 19:19 »
I have 2 separate plots of 5 & 6 Rods - so really not big enough for 1/4 of what I have in store!!  I have potatoes on the way too.

whitehill1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2017, 12:07 »
mjg,

10 types of tomato means ...cherry,bush,vine,egg shape,heart,stripy etc is it or just 10 varieties?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2017, 12:16 »
mjg,

10 types of tomato means ...cherry,bush,vine,egg shape,heart,stripy etc is it or just 10 varieties?

Now that is just a seedaholic justifying their stash Whitehill  :lol:  I need all these because they are all different shapes, colours and sizes.  Honestly I really, really do  :lol:

mjg000

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2017, 17:53 »
x   
The tomatoes are:
SWEET MILLION (F1 HYBRID); BLACK CHERRY; SWEET BABY; GOLDEN QUEEN; YELLOW PEAR   ; SNOWBALL;   
PETIT MOINEAU; BLACK RUSSIAN;  CYRIL'S CHOICE;  STONOR'S MOST PROLIFIC; TUMBLING TOM;  KELLOGG'S BREAKFAST; MARMANDE; TIGERELLA; GARDENER'S DELIGHT.  So large, medium, small and tiny; striped and single colour; dark through to yellowy white; bush and cordon, oval and round.  My favourites are Petit Moineau and Cyril's Choice with Stonor's Most Prolific and Snowball new to me this year.

Paul Plots

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2017, 01:37 »
Spreadsheet! Gosh you are organised.  :)

I have a carrier-bag on the back of the shed door with several packets, a box full in the porch alphabetically muddled (probably warmer than it need be), a tin full in the work-shop filed by sowing date/month and some recently bought packs hidden somewhere in the spare room.

Disorganised or what?  :lol:

Types? Why loads.... all the old reliable ones I like the taste of and a few "let's have a go" newer varieties.
Then there's the: reduced special offer packs I liked the look of.

All I need is my Word doc set up... a typed list and sow by dates and we're off.
                   Loads of time for dreaming/planning and thumbing through the seed catalogues first.
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2017, 10:26 »
I was sorting out the seed box last night and found I had 39 different varieties of tomato OMG!
and that's not counting the half dozen that I have already put aside for the Seed Swap parcel  :lol:
7 types of beans, 5 types of peas, 6 types of onions, 11 types of Brassicas, 5 types of peppers, 4 corn, 3 carrots, 13 types squash, 2 courgettes, 4 cucumbers, 5 Leeks, 12 lettuce/salad mix and 9 herbs. Plus Shallots and 2 types of potatoes on order.

Finally 35 different pkts of flower seed ....

So why have I just ordered 8 more packets from Marshall's *scratches head*   ::)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2017, 16:08 »
 :lol:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

crh75

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2017, 16:11 »
103 different veg and herb seed varieties and 39 different flower seed varieties.

I had a bit of a clear out in the autumn and must do it agin at the end of this sowing season.  For a lot of veg I have found the varieties that suit me and the rest get forgotten about.

Christine

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2017, 19:31 »
I've just had a write down of the seeds on a spreadsheet to see what I have. Ignoring two or three packets that came free with things, it's not that I have 100 packets of seeds but that they are worth £155!

:ohmy:

AnneB

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2017, 22:57 »
Oh dear.   47 varieties of tomato,  17 types of winter squash.  I won't reveal all, too embarrassing.

Paul Plots

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2017, 23:43 »
Is anyone on here old enough to remember the little rectangular cards that came free in things like packets of tea? (Right this moment I can't recall what they were called)

You could get a book and stick the cards in to make a collection. They did all sorts of subjects: wild flowers was one, butterflies was another. I think there was also a series about dogs.

I think us "seed packet collectors and hoarders" could do with something similar (and cheaper!!!). How about little cards (you could buy them for say 10 for a pound - profits to charity) and then stick them in a book.

It'd be cheaper than buying seed on impulse because we like the look of them, we could browse the cards more easily and still do swaps through the post until we had a full set. it might even be educational.... all the different varieties of tomatoes  or cabbage or....:lol:

This would leave us free to only buy the packets of seed we really do need to germinate and grow that season. We would still have the picture & information cards to shuffle, read, order and lose!!  :D

Mr Dog

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2017, 11:27 »
Too many! I'm going to sort as I sow this year and give all the unwanted ones away......

xx
types of potatoes

Started by westie on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post December 31, 2007, 12:58
by Sally A
xx
Apple types

Started by littleblossom on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 25, 2012, 17:37
by littleblossom
xx
Snails different types?

Started by nilsatis1964 on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post March 31, 2010, 01:10
by Paul Plots
xx
Carrot types

Started by Kajazy on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 08, 2012, 18:16
by Carrot Man

Page created in 0.319 seconds with 40 queries.