Large Blacks

• 6 Replies

Swing Swang

Large Blacks
« on: February 27, 2022, 22:13 »
Just been pig shopping!
Born between Eunice and Franklin - I guess that sorts out a couple of names for me - will collect them around Easter time.
Sausages and charcuterie in the autumn, and until then a rich source of compost.
Happy days!

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Re: Large Blacks
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2022, 00:01 »
Congratulations, stranger! :)

Handsome beasts, aren't they?
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2022, 18:23 »
How lovely  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

greenjay

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2022, 20:38 »
Fab looking pigs. I have always fancied rearing up pigs for the freezer but think I would get attached to them. Don't think it's good to give them names would make it harder when the time comes.

Swing Swang

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2022, 22:42 »
If you've only a few animals they all seem to get names even if they don't start out with any - I've a sheep with a big head, hence 'Big Ed', then Titchy Odd Ears (tagged the wrong way round), Hedgepoker (obvious really), TIC (short for second in command - always second in the food queue), Mr Tumnus (started out as Mr Timid, then changed character)...the list goes on and on...

The way I manage it is by treating them as food animals from the outset - so I tell Big Ed that he's got a great set of chops on him, that sort of thing. That doesn't mean that it's easy to let them go when the time comes, it's not; and actually I don't think it should be either, but it's how I deal with it.

Swing Swang

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2022, 22:44 »
...and yes John, it's been a long while since I've been here - let's just blame that circumstances beyond my control, but good to see a lot of old names are still here

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2022, 10:21 »
...and yes John, it's been a long while since I've been here - let's just blame that circumstances beyond my control, but good to see a lot of old names are still here
It's good to see you back and great to hear what you're up to. I'm afraid my own dreams of being a smallholder won't quite work in practice - judging by the retirement home for elderly hens! Still, they might not lay anymore but the old ladies do produce a lot of fertiliser.

Page created in 0.195 seconds with 46 queries.