Newbie Needs Advice

• 2 Replies

kyz1981

Newbie Needs Advice
« on: April 23, 2012, 16:22 »
Hi ,
I am about to get Chickens for the first time in a few months, After  finally deciding on an Omlet Cube or similar Plastic coop,  I am going to get a Walk in Run made, I would like to know how many Chickens I would be able to get in a 12ft by 6ft Run.

I would hope to Free range them for at least 2 hrs per day (supervised as we back on to a farm and don't trust there not to be day time foxes), but wan't to make sure that if I am unable to give them this on the odd day that they would have enough space in the run.

Thanks in Advance

Kyla

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Newbie Needs Advice
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 17:14 »
Hi Kyla, the minimum run sized advised by DEFRA is 1sq metre per hen, but we try to get people to give them at least double that, so about 4 in a run that size.

They do like room to run and fly around.  Some people also, is they are short on space put things like little old tables, or a chair, shelf etc to give them things to fly onto, and it increases their space a bit vertically.

Our runs are large, but in one I've got an old nursery barrow frame.  the girls that live in that run love flying onto it for a snooze in the afternoon.

kyz1981

Re: Newbie Needs Advice
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 17:34 »
Thanks for getting back to me I want them to be happy so the more space the better, I may try and make it slightly bigger then as I am sure I will want more chickens as time goes by, Thanks for the tips a Table sounds like a great Idea and I am going to get some perches put in that can be moved around too.

I am going to get a company to build it as my husband is dismal at DIY and I am no better so I will see if I can get it as big as possible whilst not taking over my entire garden.

now to decide on the chickens, Thanks again.

xx
Fruit and veg advice (heck - any advice!) for a newbie chook owner!

Started by cathy81walking on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post March 02, 2010, 11:30
by cathy81walking
xx
Advice for a newbie

Started by newbie chick on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 17, 2009, 10:08
by andreadon
xx
Newbie after advice & just to HI

Started by Chicken Dinner on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post September 02, 2009, 16:11
by Flowerpower136
question
Hello, im a newbie and need some advice.

Started by hotchicks77 on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post September 30, 2010, 22:52
by Sassy

Page created in 0.221 seconds with 35 queries.