What is a deep litter system - HELP PLEASE

• 9 Replies

looe-looe-belle

• lohmann brown hybrids = eggs! eggs! eggs!! :)
What is a deep litter system - HELP PLEASE
« on: September 29, 2010, 13:02 »
can anyone tell me what a deep litter system is please?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 13:07 by Aunt Sally »
regards Patricia

Kate and her Ducks

Re: HELP PLEASE !
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 13:08 »
Kind of what it says on the tin. You just keep adding fresh litter on top of the old soiled stuff and then clear it out once a year or so. It is generally used by those who have a larger number of birds. Apparent advantages are it is less labour intensive and the rotting litter can help warm the house in winter. The disadvantages are pretty obvious!
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

orchardlady

Re: What is a deep litter system - HELP PLEASE
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 13:22 »
Hello again looe-looe-bell.
 As Kate and her Ducks says it is where you add more litter intermittently to the run and clear it out at intervals. I've never used this system but what I've gleaned from other hen keepers is that they often use things like bark chippings that allow the rain etc to drain away. How often it is cleaned out I suppose is up to the individual and how mucky the run gets. As I'm sure you are discovering hens are poop machines! I am blundering in the dark a little here so please chime in everyone  :lol:

looe-looe-belle

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 13:33 »
sorry i am very naive coz these are my first hens but do i go to the farm supply shop and ask for WHAT? Any help would be appreciated please :)

Casey76

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 13:44 »
You can deep litter many types of bedding, be it soft wood shavings (not sawdust), hemp-based products, or linseed-based products.

Personally I find it easier to put in a thick bed of aubiose (or similar) at the start of the week, poo pick (that is, remove the obvious droppings and soiled litter) during the course of the week, then have a good clean out at the end of the week when you replace all of the litter.

Any bedding which is suitable for horses you can use for chickens - except straw.  It is more sconomical to buy a 20kg bale of shavings than it is to buy 5kg which is usually marketed at rodent owners.

compostqueen

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 13:47 »
I think deep litter systems are what's used for large numbers of hens being kept in sheds.  The "litter" means the bedding material that is used.  In intensive systems the chicken sheds don't get cleaned out until the hens are ready for being despatched, then the muck gets removed completed. In the meantime they just add clean bedding over the dirty stuff so you end up with a deep layer of "litter"

Most of us home hen keepers only have small numbers of hens etc so we poo pick the coop and run daily, or twice, depending on how many chooks you have.  The bedding material in nesting boxes and coops gets dirtier than say that in the run and will need changing more frequently.  Once it's sodden with urine it will smell and will need changing.  You'll get to know how frequently by the sniff factor. If I can smell anything that makes my nose screw up I know it needs changing  :)  Your girlies will appreciate a clean, dry nesting box and bed and keeping them clean will also keep your eggs clean

This lovely bedding material available now is for horses but is perfect for chook keepers. It  helps keep the hen houses clean as you can spread it out in their run as well as their coop and is good for keeping mud out of their house.  I like Aubiose as it has citronella (I think) in it and it smells lovely and absorbs moisture to help keep things sweet and dry  :)  Easibed is cheaper and is fine as well

audi

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 14:46 »
Am I going over the top as daily I shovel out the poo and the litter under the poo which can be 3/4 of the coop, I then give the floor a good sprinkle with stalosan f and then put fresh litter down which is the hemp.

looe-looe-belle

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2010, 17:04 »
well thank you for your replies everyone as its been so very helpful! X

compostqueen

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 23:36 »
It depends on how mucky or wet it is. Do you have a lot of chooks then audi?  if not, I'd say it's too much each day to get rid of the lot. Generally over night your hens will make a lot of mess in one place where they've slept so once that's poo picked that's most of it done. You can poo pick the rest so it looks clean.  You only need to do a big clear out of the hemp bedding approx once a month or six weeks. Mine are out and about all day and only get locked in the run if I go out so it doesn't get too bad thank goodness.  I do poo pick the lawn though every other day

hillfooter

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2010, 04:43 »
Am I going over the top as daily I shovel out the poo and the litter under the poo which can be 3/4 of the coop, I then give the floor a good sprinkle with stalosan f and then put fresh litter down which is the hemp.

You certainlyare.  I never poo pick as life's too short.  The only problem is if the hens can paddle about in their droppings and pick in it.  If you imagine what happens with birds in the wild they roost in trees and their droppings fall through the branches so they aren't constantly exposed to it.  If your house is designed correctly the majority of the base area will be taken up with roosting bars which should be suspended over a droppings area which the birds can't get to.  Their dropping should fall through the bars onto the litter and is absorbed and where it is away from the birds so they can't come into contact with it.  You then periodically sprinkle new litter on top to keep a clean dry absorbent surface and you let it build up until it gets within 10cms or so of the bars and then you clean out completely and disinfect clean the perches and start again.   I usually go for 4 to 6 weeks before a clean out.   Painting a slurry of Diatom mixed into a water disinfectant base (Vanodine V18) is best), helps to keep the dropping from sticking to the perches and deters red mite and helps with the sanitation.

I don't allow the chx into the nestboxes at night and these are shuttered off so they stay clean and if they do get fouled I clean them out thoroughly.

This isn't strictly what is mean't by deep litter,  In deep littersystems the fouled litter is carefully managed to maintain a dry sanitary surface and the ammonia levels are controlled.  If the consistency is right  the litter doesn't support bacteria but the ammonia smell isn't at a dangerous level for the birds health.  Well managed deep litter systems don't smell and are perfectly sanitary.  The litter forms a dry caked consistancy.   As Orchardlady says this system is used in commercial laying sheds usually with tens or hundreds and upwards of birds in.  The litter is dug out.once a season.
Regards
HF
Truth through science.

xx
Deep Litter Compost System

Started by Lindeggs on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post June 10, 2011, 02:20
by Lindeggs
xx
Deep Litter - I'm not getting it

Started by Chookster on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post October 04, 2009, 23:06
by Foxy
xx
The Value of Deep Litter

Started by Beekissed on The Hen House

51 Replies
Last post January 23, 2024, 09:20
by spud
xx
Deep litter method

Started by Jomtie on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post April 15, 2014, 14:58
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.234 seconds with 35 queries.