Another Scam Today ...

• 33 Replies

Goosegirl

Another Scam Today ...
« on: March 03, 2020, 13:25 »
Just got an email today saying my TV licence will expire because "something went wrong with my direct debit payment so I have to renew it or additional fees will be applied" and was advised to set up a new direct debit.

According to my January bank statement it was paid but haven't got my February one as yet so am having to go into town to see what's gone amiss if anything. I don't do on-line banking for my current account and it could just be an error by my bank, so just thought I'd warn you before anyone else gets this email.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

rowlandwells

Re: Another possible scam?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2020, 17:50 »
thanks for that warning Goosegirl  I'm completely fed up with these cretins ringing us up every day trying to scam us how come its against the law  to cold call when all these scammers are doing is basically the same by calling us on the phone

its so sad when these scammer who pray on pensioners and  people not sure what to do we when there told they owe money and get scammed  to part with the life savings

I've  absolutely got no time for these scammers or anyone cold calling me by phone they usually end up with
something they really don't want the here 

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2020, 19:53 »
Just got an email today saying my TV licence will expire because "something went wrong with my direct debit payment so I have to renew it or additional fees will be applied" and was advised to set up a new direct debit.

According to my January bank statement it was paid but haven't got my February one as yet so am having to go into town to see what's gone amiss if anything. I don't do on-line banking for my current account and it could just be an error by my bank, so just thought I'd warn you before anyone else gets this email.

We've got loads of those a while back and tried to tell the BBC so they could alert customers. They didn't care a damn and were very dismissive, even when I told them one of the scams link, when you waved the cursor over it was to www.pallitivecare.something
I was revolted. At the link and the BBC's lack of concern.

jezza

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2020, 20:24 »
Hello I had a call saying the accident settlement had been confirmed and could I give them my card details so that they could deposit it in my bank account (my phone says fraud or scam)  I gave them a card number a very old defunct fuel card that I found in the glove box it seemed to keep them happy they rang back and said that my number had been removed from their system  jezza

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2020, 21:04 »
its so sad when these scammer who pray on pensioners and  people not sure what to do

This is going to be a massive problem in the future.
With elderly and/or vulnerable people, including those with dementia living on their own, increasingly isolated and away from family's watchful eyes it is hard to keep people monitored and safe. All it takes is one fall or UTI and a person can go from being capable, if a bit slow moving to incapable of maintaining themselves in a healthy state. TIs are really dangerous by the way. And if they don't have their card taken away in good time then scammers can clear them out.

If the family isn't used to watching the person or fails to realise how bad things are then elderly and vulnerable people go downhill fast. Dehydration is a big factor, then nutrition which leads to mental deterioration. I've seen it happen a lot and your talking about less than 6 months to the person isn't managing and needs carers in or into a home.

So people don't realise Mum/Dad/ Mr/Mrs down the road are too sore or disorientated to go to the shop or go get a drink of tea or water, cook some food, or to stand and wash themselves, or get into the bath, or do the dishes safely. Or are afraid if they drink then they'll need to pee and they are too sore to get up and go to the toilet, or are even too sore to go to bed. Once a person stops moving, they lose the ability to move.  That leads to them getting dehydrated/malnourished/hygiene becomes an issue physically and mentally. Who wants to be seen when their not as dapper as they once were, so depression can become a problem. They maybe a bit embarrassed at having to ask for help or not wanting to put someone to any trouble- a very common refrain. 

It is hard to judge and the medical side can take months to move anywhere. People can have good and bad days so it can be hard to tell how they are actually doing. I knew people and on good days they were lucid and sharp as can be, on bad days, wow. Then there's the memory and articulation problems. They may forget to tell you someone came to the door or called, they maybe unable to tell you. Or understand what has happened. Carer's will usually or hopefully do their best, but they aren't there all the time to see or hear what is going on. They can't take responsibility for money and if family do nothing then what can they do? I've visited people and found them upset, unable to tell me that someone without a British accent usually was screaming at them for their card details because "they ordered something" which they hadn't. Some were still on the phone and earned a row from me, then a call to the TPS. In all those cases the individual's had no internet access, their money had been taken off them and couldn't work the phone to call out so they couldn't arrange or agree to any sales.

Twice sales people tried to blag their way into two someone's with dementia houses up here and I had to wade in. One was near the In Laws house and I was passing, got the business card and told them to leave the person alone, they had dementia. I was told "I will be back tomorrow to discuss new windows". I told them they wouldn't, if they didn't leave alone I'd report them to the police and family for harassment and attempted scam, I have your card details. The second I scooped them in front of me and barged in the house squacking ooh (name), it's good I've seen you, I was talking to your child and they want you to call them before 10 minutes time and asked me to call in since I was passing. Told the chugger who tried to follow us in and get me to sign up sorry we need to go, this is important. I locked the door, made the person a cup of tea, got them a bit of cake and alerted the family that I was in the house and why. Who also.

That last person's family and I complained against a very well known charity who kept putting letters through the doors of every house several times. 3 at least were binned from there alone I was told. It was written as if it was a friend talking to the homeowner about how they'd died of a stroke or heart attack and how the person could help save other people by donating money to the charity. Well this individual didn't have the wherewithall to realise it wasn't actually to them from someone they knew. It was a charity plea and and said family had found them sobbing, distraught because they thought the fictional person blamed them. As well as feeling awful they couldn't remember the person writing to them who was seemingly a great friend, whose kids were friends from childhood as well and went through all these events with them.

I have seen all of those scenarios.

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2020, 21:15 »
Sure to be a scam, Goosey.

Without any hint at how ****** ***** and ******** ********* they are in W1AA, Capita should bear some responsibility for all this; they collect the tax, and £4bn is a lot of money for everyone.

Just forget it all!

Elaine G

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2020, 23:38 »
I had that email today too. I get them regularly. TV license is not in my name!!
Best to just delete them.

Elaine
The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet - James Oppenheim

GraciesGran

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2020, 07:03 »
Our tv licence is in husbands name so I ignored this e-mail.  We get loads of calls to our landline, I never answer it  and they never leave a message.  Mobile number given to the select few.

Goosegirl

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2020, 12:31 »
Thanks for that as I flipping thought so, but I'll now have to go into town to double-check as you do, and also get an up-date of my bank statement which I haven't received to date. 

GraciesGran

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2020, 13:17 »
E-mail received from British Gas saying they owe us money as we overpaid in 2018.  Checked records we have not been with them since 2015. 

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2020, 13:47 »
Phone call this morning telling me that HMRC are taking me to court for non-payment of tax! 
Considering they really would send me several demands in the post - before this (if it were true.....) I just put the phone on the table and let them rattle on 'til they disconnected themselves  ::)

Elaine G

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2020, 21:46 »
mumofstig I use the phone on the table approach too when possible. Waste some of their time so they are not bothering people less savvy.

Elaine

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2020, 23:44 »
whilst I am tired of the daily calls from HMRC court cases, internet cut off, amazon prime renewal subscription, and the latest 10 free luck dips to some lotto scheme which sounds like  the national lottery??? I was concerned about the TV licence email as it came about 3 weeks after I paid it and it REALLY looked genuine.

thankfully I do internet banking and immediately went online to check that my card details hadn't expired and that the payment had gone though.  obviously it had been paid, but this email did make me promptly check and if I didn't have that resource I may have been panicked into clicking the link.

I sent a message to the BBC licence people and got a long winded message back of how their emails look/read etc, but for those who are not computer savvy it wasn't really reassuring or clear tbh.

so, I suppose. if you really owe someone money, they will still use the old fashioned version of writing to you before they cut you off/end your business.

if in doubt, ask a friend or neighbour to look at any emails you may be concerned about. as for calls, if you dial 1471 and get the number, type it into google and it will probably come up as one of those 'who called me' numbers with ratings about how many people have had these calls from that number and just how big the scam is.

Growster...

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2020, 05:12 »
Good post, Goose.

Since we had a BT call-blocker phone installed, we don't get any of these calls, but a quick flick through recent numbers which have failed to connect, or just scampered away, is surprisingly long, as many come from overseas!

The caller, if unknown, has to say who they are, and I'd love to hear some bloke gabbling pidgin English telling me that he's from the BBC, Microsoft or somewhere just as stupid...

Goosegirl

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2020, 11:43 »
My dear Growster, it wasn't a phone call but an email and still can't believe how genuine it looked. Having just received last month's bank statement it was paid and just as I thought. Gotcha you little ******! I've set up my emails so I can see the content in a pane below so I don't need to click on them because one never knows where it will lead. I'm not the most computer savvy person in the world by any means but my heart goes out to those people who have been taken in by such a clever scam.

xx
Another scam going around.

Started by Goosegirl on Chatting on the Plot

13 Replies
Last post December 23, 2021, 12:40
by Christine
xx
New scam around...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post October 27, 2023, 12:17
by Growster...
xx
Another scam

Started by chrissie B on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post August 25, 2020, 13:56
by chrissie B
xx
Another Scam

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post October 11, 2020, 18:40
by Elaine G

Page created in 0.163 seconds with 54 queries.