Apologies, but cant find post on what to do with potato blight

• 4 Replies

mole trapper

Sorry I know there is one somewhere, but always have problems finding stuff with search!!!

Just taken on an allotment along with 70 others in our area!  totally virgin ground, but in the last 2/3 days spuds are dying off, none have been in longer than begining of may, so presume this is not natural dye back, I did wonder originally if it was weedkiller, however plot next to me has same signs on spuds but behind runner beans that would have caught any spray!  So if it is blight what can I /We do?? apparently there is a post somewhere on here, but I cant find it!

Any help or advice appreciated

Mel

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Firstly, it is very doubtful that it's blight. The weather in general has not been humid enough for the pathogen to propagate. There are currently only two reported outbreaks in the whole of the UK

There are two main threads on blight. One is in the GYO stickies on how to avoid blight:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=56717.0

The other, which can digress, started out about Blight Watch alerts.

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=58510.0

If you can post a picture, that would be helpful, as would be your location in your profile.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Addendum:

I see there are now two suspected cases in Cornwall.

mole trapper

Many thanks,  we arent down as far as the ones shown on the map.  one thing I have now spoted is that windburn was mentioned . . .  last saturday we had almost winter winds but they werent very cold just very strong - could this be it Maybe?? We are North cornwall just on off the edge of bodmin moor.

Will try and get pics today

Salmo

They have probably just run out of water?

I suspect that there is little organic matter in this new soil to hold moisture and the late planted potatoes do not have sufficient root systems to withstand the drought. All you can hope for is that they made a few tubers before giving up.

xx
Small quantities of hard to find potato varieties

Started by tangojulie on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 22, 2017, 21:47
by tangojulie
xx
Help - we have potato blight and tomato blight

Started by jlb664 on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 08:26
by Kristen
grin
Potato Blight

Started by brian17 on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post August 11, 2009, 11:43
by DD.
xx
potato blight

Started by flowergirl on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 20, 2007, 23:12
by jackiestagg

Page created in 0.377 seconds with 39 queries.