Raspberry canes - straight or not?

• 4 Replies

bashful_badger

• Experienced Member
Raspberry canes - straight or not?
« on: August 10, 2009, 16:12 »
Can anyone tell me what is the best way to plant raspberry canes?  I was wanting some to grow up a wall as I thought they grew straight buy my father-in-law says that they have to be planted at an angle, is this correct?

Thank you.

Nikkithefoot

Re: Raspberry canes - straight or not?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 16:18 »
Bung em in upright, if you put them in at an angle once they are pruned next years canes will be vertical(ish) anyway. As long as the soil is very well fed they should be fine. If growing near a wall make sure they are well watered otherwise they will not fruit very well.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

gillie

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 17:54 »
I guess your father-in-law is thinking of cordon apples and pears.  Raspberries will grow straight up what ever angle you put the root in.

Why are you growing them up a wall?  they don't need shelter and there might be better uses for the bed.

Cheers,

Gillie

bonfire

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 19:18 »
and remember that walls tend to produce dry soil. The best places for raspberries in the UK (Scotland) are invariably rather wetter climates so you may be giving yourself a lot of watering to get results by picking a spot by a wall.

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 19:53 »
I think what bashful badger wants to know is that yes, raspberries produce the best crop if the canes are at some sort of an angle. The plant itself doesn't have to be planted on angle, but the canes need to be trained as such. In fact, I get my heaviest cropping when the canes are at a 30-45 degree angle (almost like grapes). They'll crop straight up or at a  slight angle, but just not as heavily.

xx
Raspberry canes

Started by pipfit on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 24, 2019, 09:08
by mumofstig
xx
raspberry canes

Started by vegypete on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 19, 2012, 09:53
by vegypete
xx
Raspberry canes

Started by apes1978 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 18, 2007, 22:25
by cozzcov
xx
Raspberry Canes

Started by GreenDavie on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 27, 2008, 22:39
by Trillium

Page created in 0.345 seconds with 39 queries.