Weed Control Fabric on my new plot - weighing up pros vs cons.

• 24 Replies

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Marestail is a prehistoric organism and can grow through concrete ...  :ohmy:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

A. Fallowfield

The marestail found its way in from a main drain being put across the plots some years ago. Most of the plots old hands just keep pulling it out! :(
I'm on the north end and haven't any marestail.... yet! :D

sowitgrowit

• Experienced Member
  • Allotmenaut
    • Money saving, grow your own-ing blog
As an addition to the posts above, I've used the weed control fabric on sections ("beds" - though not raised) of the plot, and cut X holes and planted through.

One thing that has surprised me is how the fabric seems rather un-permeable.

When watering in what I had planted there was a puddle accumulating on the fabric in a depression - I assume it will gradually make it's way though via a capillary action (is that right?) where the surface of the soil meets the fabric?

I expected the water to run through it somewhat quicker than it did.

Of course, if it stops evaporation it may be a deliberate feature.
Live like a peasant,
eat like a king!

compostqueen

Water does pass through it  :)  Have you got the stuff with the stripes or squares marked on it, the woven stuff?

sowitgrowit

• Experienced Member
  • Allotmenaut
Water does pass through it  :)  Have you got the stuff with the stripes or squares marked on it, the woven stuff?

It isn't the woven stuff that looks like it would fray, or the type I've seen that has the squares.

I wonder if I would be able to get a detailed enough photo up.

I'm a little worried I've got some weird fabric that isn't right! Erk!

Fatfingers

Re: Weed Control Fabric on my new plot - weighing up pros vs cons.
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2012, 18:08 »
Hi, I've used the tough woven weed control fabric and it certainly does the job. We covered some land with it that we acquired a couple of years ago but have not had time to do anything with. It fabric was ovelapped and pegged so as not to allow any gaps for the weeds to rise up and put a small ditch around the perimeter. We have not covered it with anything at all and to date we have not had a single weed grow up through it. Be aware there are different grades of this weed control fabric available. What we used was 100gsm grade. It felt like the material postman sacks are made of but not really sure what it is. It lets water through and blocks out the sun, which is exactly what is required to kill off weeds and avoid water pooling. We got ours online from http://www.qvsshop.co.uk and I think they do the stuff up to 5m widths. We also go a load of fixing pegs which were cheap and used these to hold the weed control fabric down. Buying some more soon for a new allotment my son has just acquired!

allotmentann

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2012, 18:59 »
Hello Fatfingers, welcome to the site. I have been very happy using weed control fabric on my paths, although I use plastic under it too, and also use pegs to hold it down like you :)

sowitgrowit

• Experienced Member
  • Allotmenaut
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2012, 12:21 »
Mine is still holding up very well after a particularly wet summer. Weeds aren't making their way through (except alongside plants).  Mine was a freebie but I'm certainly tempted by some more if the budget can stretch.

Meanwhile, I'm using cardboard in other areas for the same purpose which will hopefully work as well.

snowdrops

« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2012, 21:08 »
I've just bought a 20mtr roll of the non plastic variety for £3.99 from Home Bargains.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

goodtogrow

• Experienced Member
  • Less is More
    • stirruphoes
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2012, 18:55 »
Vis-a- vis growing French beans through fabric the French themselves don't always sow in rows, but in groups of five, known elsewhere as 'station' planting.

'Station' planting lends itself to growing through fabric.  Think carrots, leeks, parsley, etc, etc.

IMO plant spacings given on seed packets are no more than a general guideline which apply to an 'average' soil and the space above-ground  which the subject needs.  On fertile soil we can plant closer than the guidelines.  I think broad beans are typically spaced at 20 cms, but I always grow them at 10 cms, in stations of 4 plants, not in rows. They provide each other with support.   Five French bean seeds in a circle 20 cms across is fine.

Most of my fabric is cross-cut at 30cms centres.  If I'm growing a more space-demanding crop, eg brassicas, I blank off one or more holes with newspaper.

I like to roll back the fabric when I've finished cropping for the season to let the birds find the pests.
No-one has a monopoly of knowledge, nor wisdom

xx
Weed Control Fabric x plot width

Started by cadalot on Equipment Shed

6 Replies
Last post December 27, 2013, 17:25
by Asherweef
xx
Apollo weed control fabric

Started by savbo on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post January 07, 2011, 06:28
by Gwiz
xx
rotovator - pros/cons

Started by redhat on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post February 05, 2007, 16:58
by Bigbadfrankie
xx
weed fabric

Started by Sparkyrog on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post March 03, 2013, 11:02
by ThatsNice

Page created in 0.155 seconds with 40 queries.