Fox chewing holes in polytunnel

• 8 Replies

AnneB

Fox chewing holes in polytunnel
« on: July 18, 2023, 14:05 »
Our site is plagued with 2 resident foxes.  They have eaten chickens, squashed crops and buried their stash in plots for a while.
Now Mr. Fox has taken to chewing large holes in my polytunnel plastic  so he can get in and sunbathe on the path down the middle.
The first time he did he widened a small tear.  I patched this over with some leftover plastic.  Then he did the same thing down the side.  Patched again.
This time he hasn't tried an existing tear, he has just chewed through the new plastic at the back.  It looks as if someone has cut it with a pair of pinking shears. 
I have put a temporary repair in by putting up some green plastic trellis inside.  Backed up by an assortment of tools and so on to keep it in place.
It is proper polytunnel plastic but getting on a bit.  Contemplating a new cover but nervous of spending the money if it is just going to get chewed to pieces.
Has anyone else had a similar problem?

Blewit

• Experienced Member
Re: Fox chewing holes in polytunnel
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2023, 08:08 »
We have lots of fox problems on our site (see photo below captured on wildlife camera recently). So many crops have to be covered to protect them from being trampled and having huge holes dug in the beds. Poly tunnels have also been torn (even the green rip-stop type), plot holders have witnessed foxes climb right up on top then chew and tear for all they're worth. Holes have even been made right next to open doors so it isn't just to gain access to what they think might be inside.
To help deter climbing up tunnels (an act that itself causes scrapes and tears) we placed debris net screens a foot from the tunnel either side, angled outwards and slightly baggy so they can't be used as a step up. Shame the same can't be used on other net structures, blue hooped crop nets get jumped on, ran along and their wooden/cane supports bashed down or snapped.
I've tried sprinkling chilli powder and other recommended deterrents but nothing like that so far has had any effect.
Four-Foxes.jpg

snowdrops

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2023, 10:15 »
Oh dear, I’d be horrified if that was happening to mine. Would it be worth fencing the whole plot if allowed?
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Hortic

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2023, 11:47 »
Our allotment fox is benign and eats any rabbits that are foolish enough to appear.  Damage comes from the badger(s).
Have you tried attaching chicken wire to the polytunnel so it can't be chewed? Right on the plastic. Has anyone found where the foxes are getting in? Block up the hole?

AnneB

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2023, 13:14 »
Our allotment fox is benign and eats any rabbits that are foolish enough to appear.  Damage comes from the badger(s).
Have you tried attaching chicken wire to the polytunnel so it can't be chewed? Right on the plastic. Has anyone found where the foxes are getting in? Block up the hole?
Our foxes chew through chicken wire no problem as some people who keep chickens on site know only too well.  I believe you need a welded wire to keep them out which is very expensive.
I have been told that human male urine works so I am asking my OH to provide a supply!

AnneB

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2023, 13:19 »
Oh dear, I’d be horrified if that was happening to mine. Would it be worth fencing the whole plot if allowed?
They dig under the site perimeter fence.   If you fill up one hole they dig another.  They also jump over the wall from the houses next to the site and the surrounding park. 
We would have to change the site rules to replace hedges with fences on individual plots or have hedges over 5' high.  Even if I put a fence buried on the inside of our hedge they'd just jump over the top.  Just going to do what I can to persuade them my plot is not where they want to be.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2023, 20:12 »
This may not be relevant to your situation, but if you use Fish Blood and Bone as a general fertiliser, then suggest you should stop it. It can attract the foxes
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

AnneB

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2023, 06:44 »
This may not be relevant to your situation, but if you use Fish Blood and Bone as a general fertiliser, then suggest you should stop it. It can attract the foxes
I use chicken manure pellets, but they aren't interested in them at all as far as I can tell.  He breaks in so that he can stretch out on the central path to sunbathe in the warm.  That's when he isn't camped outside the next plot's chicken coop contemplating a possible dinner.

AnneB

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2024, 18:51 »
I have managed to keep the foxes (they've had cubs!) out.   I have acquired some old polycarbonate panels from another plot holder and have placed these between the cover and the dwarf wall.  Our polytunnel is constructed over an existing old large greenhouse dwarf wall, with the plastic attached to it using wooden battens screwed into the bricks.  The polycarbonate covers the holes and protects against further munching of the plastic.
So far, so good.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2024, 18:53 by AnneB »

xx
Holes in peppers

Started by ajp5 on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

1 Replies
Last post September 23, 2014, 20:38
by mumofstig
xx
Advice? Holes in Twin-Wall Polycarb sheets (Greenhouse)

Started by Doddy on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

8 Replies
Last post November 01, 2014, 15:17
by beesrus
xx
poly tunnel i have hundreds of holes appear and tiny bits of plastic all over th

Started by lego501 on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

2 Replies
Last post October 13, 2018, 15:39
by grinling
xx
Diy polytunnel

Started by ricky on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

9 Replies
Last post September 19, 2019, 16:25
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.144 seconds with 47 queries.