toms in unheated greenhouse

• 22 Replies

A Reyt Tayty

toms in unheated greenhouse
« on: April 17, 2012, 19:19 »
Toms I've set in the house are just showing first true leaves. How big should they need to get before putting into unheated greenhouse? Or, what sort of date would be the favourite to put them in the greenhose?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: toms in unheated greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 19:26 »
It's more a case of them being warm enough than big enough, to be in an unheated greenhouse tbh

I am a bit further south than you, and will not be putting any tomatoes in our unheated minitunnel at the plot until the second week of May.

If we get a very cold spell then I shall wait a bit longer, and if I get caught out I shall end up covering them with fleece inside the tunnel as well.

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 19:30 »
I'll be aiming for late May here, early June outside.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

mattwragg94

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 19:32 »
as soon as mine poke their heads up in the house - out to the greenhouse they go - most have been in there around a week and ive had no casualties - however my unheated GH keeps the heat in and the temps always in the mid - high teens.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 19:32 »
as soon as mine poke their heads up in the house - out to the greenhouse they go - most have been in there around a week and ive had no casualties - however my unheated GH keeps the heat in and the temps always in the mid - high teens.

Mine couldn't manage that at night without any extra heat :blink: :blink:

mattwragg94

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 19:39 »

Mine couldn't manage that at night without any extra heat :blink: :blink:

mine have - all of my chillis have been in there around a month and all survived too - and so have the cuc's and aubs that have been in there a few weeks. maybe im just lucky! :lol:
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 19:43 by sunshineband »

A Reyt Tayty

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 19:45 »
The reason I ask, is because I've got some seed which I set in the greenhouse some weeks ago which are just showing their faces. They look quite healthy. Do you think that tomatoes are a little bit hardier than we give them credit for?

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 19:48 »
The reason I ask, is because I've got some seed which I set in the greenhouse some weeks ago which are just showing their faces. They look quite healthy. Do you think that tomatoes are a little bit hardier than we give them credit for?

Weather dependent -- we can take risks and be lucky, we can take risks and be unlucky, and me, I try not to risk too much as I hate disappointments  :D :D

A couple of hard frosts here in the last couple of days mean I am glad the toms are still safe and warm.

Hope yours grow well  :)

Willow_Warren

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 14:00 »
I don't have any advice to give, but wanted to thank you for asking the question and for the answers given.

My tomatoes plants are growing well in the conservatory (unheated as is the rest of the house, but warmer overnight than a greenhouse!).  They are growing quite well, I just hope they don't get too leggy before they can go out side!  There's 10 of the little beauties and my conservatory is very small and starting to get over crouded!

Hannah :)

LilacSandy

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2012, 08:21 »

I think it all depends on your greenhouse, mine is under the shelter of a large apple tree (I have a plastic roof) so it gets a lot of frost protection and the sun does not hit it until mid morning and I have had a lot of my toms and peppers in there for a couple of weeks now. 

The plastic greenhouses at the top of my garden next to the house, which I would have thought very sheltered as they are in a fairly enclosed area, are not at all frost free and I have lost a couple of things that I thought were much hardier.

compostqueen

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 11:11 »
My toms, chillies and aubs have been in the cold greenhouse for weeks but I fear for the aubs, which I forgot to bring into the house after potting on.   The toms and chillies look fine
Oh, and the cucumbers  :)

Robster

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2012, 11:37 »
I am going to take the plunge this weekend and put some of the tomatoes in my unheated greenhouse.  I have sowed plenty so I can afford it if they don't make it. I grow in the borders and the path down the middle is full of chipped stone so has quite a heat capacity. Was ok last year at this time and this is three weeks before our last frost here.

andyw

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012, 11:46 »
I've been running an electric heater in mine until now and cannot wait until it's warm enough to leave unheated.  We can't have many nights left where it's going to be too cold can we?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2012, 11:50 »
I am not holding my breath.

I remember the June frosts a few years back.

andyw

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2012, 14:19 »
we're away for a week from the 3rd of May so I will have no choice but to remove the heater then, for now I will give them the best chance and leave the heater in there.  I think next year I will just start them off later.

Page created in 0.129 seconds with 40 queries.