NZ Summer

• 19 Replies

coatesi

NZ Summer
« on: January 16, 2009, 08:01 »
Hi Fellow Growers
                         Over the last couple of years I have kept you up to date with gardening from down under. Was a bit lax last year for numerous reasons so I thought I better catch up.
      Tomatos this year were the earliest I have ever picked them. A full 5 weeks early. Spuds were the same and I have planted a second crop and should get away with it before the first frost. Runner beans are the worst I have ever had. I am going to move my frames and try again. Shallots  red onions, dug dried and hung. Parsnips up and looking good. Leeks coming on and should be ready about March. Tried a different Tomato among my many this year. I planted a heritage variety call Black From Tula. Very tastey but it is the most butt ugly fruit you have ever seen. I will post a picture when I get a chance. I will also post a mystery veg for you to have a guess at. The weather has been good in my area with rain appearing as we needed it. A lot different from last year when we had a five month drought and then just about a flood. I see we have another member from NZ now and no doubt Kiwi will also keep you posted.
   Try and post pictures soon
  Coatesi
A man that gives up a freedom for the sake of security deserves niether.
 Abraham Lincoln.

Kiwi

• Experienced Member
NZ Summer
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 09:20 »
*waves*  :lol:

peapod

• Pea Goddess
NZ Summer
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 09:24 »
Cant wait for the pics - especially of the butt ugly toms  :D Did it put you off eating them? :D

And Kiwi - I love your tree fern leaf avatar  :D
"I think the carrot infinitely more fascinating than the geranium. The carrot has mystery. Flowers are essentially tarts. Prostitutes for the bees. There is, you'll agree, a certain je ne sais quoi oh so very special about a firm young carrot" Withnail and I

farmersue

NZ Summer
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2009, 23:32 »
Hi Coatesi and Kiwi

My daughter lives in Nelson and i'm going to visit next month. For 4 whole weeks. How excited am i?!?!   Although i am a bit worried about getting behind on my plot. And what about my spuds? I'd hoped my order would have been delivered by now. Gulp.
NZ is such a beautiful country  - i'm very envious of you living there.
I lived in Auckland briefly many years ago and have very fond memories of my time in your wonderful country. All that fruit and veg. Mmmmm......

Kiwi

• Experienced Member
NZ Summer
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 04:39 »
You will have such a lovely time - Nelson is just gorgeous!

INteresting about the heritage tomato. I planted some too this year - called mortgage lifter  :shock: It has huge mis shapen tomatoes - like the ones you get in Spain that taste amazing - they're not quite ready yet but can't wait.

It's been an absolutely stunning summer so far over here, I feel very lucky.

matron

NZ Summer
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2009, 08:31 »
Let's hope that our summer will be the same. Fed up of the cold and wet now.  :cry:

coatesi

NZ Summer
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2009, 03:58 »

This is the mystery veg. :shock:  Type and name please. Also a translation of the name. :twisted:
Shouldn't be too hard. Answer tomorrow sometime
Coatesi

coatesi

NZ Summer
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2009, 04:05 »

This is the Black From Tula tomato I am growing this year. As you can see the description of 'Butt Ugly' is actually flattering. The taste is magnificent, slightley smokey but not acidy at all. It is a heritage species so I should be able to keep seed and carry it on next year.
Coatesi

Kiwi

• Experienced Member
NZ Summer
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2009, 08:03 »
well I know the answer to the first one - but since I live here I wont tell!
We grew some this year

My heritage tomatoes look a lot like those as well, but they are less brown so far.

peterjf

hi there
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2009, 13:31 »
just letting you know we have family in papatoto NZ ,

maybe there are some seeds you cant get in uk , we would be willing to start the ball rolling by sending the 1st packs of seeds , think about what you want from good old blighty you could senmd us some in return , what do you think, cheers , cheers , pete and sue in hull east yorkshire uk ,

e-mail ,

Val H

• Head Cook and Bottle Washer
  • Family Member
    • Recipes
NZ Summer
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2009, 14:00 »
You need to be VERY careful on this one. Sending seeds to NZ is a no, no as they are very fussy about what they let into the country (following the Australian rabbit disaster).
Val
Recipes Galore!

Kiwi

• Experienced Member
NZ Summer
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2009, 19:08 »
Yeh Val's right MAF wont allow any seeds at all in, it's something they are incredibly strict about.
We could, however, send you some - I don't think Britain has the same rules? anyone?

Etherelda

• Experienced Member
    • http://fernanddavesallotment.blogspot.com/
NZ Summer
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2009, 19:42 »
eek, I know how strict MAF are. Didn't stop my grandad smuggling ukrainian mountain plant bulbs back from his native Carpathian mountains, through customs stuffed in his socks!
"Do not sit supine in God's Waiting Room."

Kiwi

• Experienced Member
NZ Summer
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2009, 20:11 »
Quote from: "Etherelda"
eek, I know how strict MAF are. Didn't stop my grandad smuggling ukrainian mountain plant bulbs back from his native Carpathian mountains, through customs stuffed in his socks!
:lol:  :lol:

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: hi there
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2009, 22:27 »
Quote from: "peterjf"
e-mail  xxx

Peter, you might want to remove your email address or you'll get loads of spam  :roll:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

xx
Here comes summer

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 07, 2010, 08:33
by PennyS
xx
Summer at last

Started by coatesi on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post November 05, 2009, 15:52
by Weatherwatcher
xx
Summer psb

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 18, 2011, 21:36
by someoneorother
xx
well thats almost it for this summer !!

Started by hammers07 on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post August 13, 2007, 13:05
by yummy

Page created in 0.43 seconds with 39 queries.