flooring for mud

• 3 Replies

JACDORE

flooring for mud
« on: September 08, 2011, 15:46 »
I know we've discussed this before but cant remember the answer.  As the hen side has no grass (Well no grass in my garden at all actually) I've roughly slabbed half of their area so they dont get too covered in sloshy mud this time of year.  Now I'm thinking about the other half, well 1/4 as other qtr is their run which is covered for shelter and tall shrubs against fence.  Now whats the best thing I can put down to prevent them sinking into the muddy area left.  I remember you say chippings/bark etc but which one as dont want to get the wrong sort for the girls.  (They do get grass in the summer as I buy the odd roll of turf)
2 rottys 4 cats, 2 gecko's, 2 beardies, 2 hamsters, 1 guinea pig, 1 rabbit, 12 various fish, 6 hens, 1 hubby, (lol)

daisy1990

Re: flooring for mud
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 21:09 »
I think the answer was bark (but be careful that it is treated bark so spore free as there are moulds that can harm chickens)  I also think hemcore would be suitable as it takes ages to rot down and you could scrape it up and replace easily enough.  I also think some people use the rubber chippings (used in horse stables I think)
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

Casey76

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 08:34 »
Phone your local friendly tree surgeon and get them to deliver some chippings. Your girls will love rooting through them, and they really cut down on the mud. :)

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 14:13 »
Hi,

I posted a similar question a few weeks ago, we have now part paved (about 1/3) of the run, we then have a small area which we have laid some turf to let the girls have somewhere to peck, already the grass diminishing so we will either have too pave or re-turf.

With the remaining area we have purchased some wood chippings from our local Tree Surgeon.
The run is now mud free and very easy to manage the girls love scratching around in the chippings and I find the paving slabs really easy to hose and sweep/ keep clean. My ladies seem very happy with their new set up.

xx
Run flooring

Started by Rasco on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post October 13, 2010, 14:34
by DannyBoy230
xx
flooring.

Started by cejx on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 14, 2011, 11:01
by Dickie73
xx
Flooring in run

Started by Ma Lowe on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post October 08, 2009, 20:12
by bee
xx
run flooring help!!

Started by Dawnuss on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post January 09, 2013, 22:17
by Dawnuss

Page created in 0.235 seconds with 40 queries.