Muliple sowings of Phacelia green manure

• 5 Replies

mr brambles

Muliple sowings of Phacelia green manure
« on: April 03, 2012, 16:06 »
Hi,

I have 5 beds that I'm in the process of clearing, Couch and brambles so a lot of back breaking work ahead.

These beds wont be used till next year so I 'm wondering if sowing Phacelia for 2 or 3 cycles would be any good?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Muliple sowings of Phacelia green manure
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 16:10 »
Most people plant crops as a each bit of ground gets cleared, rather than a green manure.

Phacelia is a good green manure, cut it and use the tops as compost and let it regrow -  but I would have thought crops were a better idea  ;)

mr brambles

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 16:27 »
The crops would be a beter idea but I've already allocated this years crops to my raised beds that are done and these beds will be my fruit beds next year.

It will probably take about a month to clear each of the veg beds (1.6m x 8.4m) as I dont have as much time as I would like to go down there and get it cleared, so it will be a case of little and often.

Christine

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 16:44 »
I know the feeling mr brambles.

I would suggest that you put down some form of green manure as you go which you can dig in later in the season to improve the soil. If you have brambles and couch it would suggest that you have unloved soil like I did when I moved into my plot. I didn't have the same weed problem but the soil was unproductive. So half of my allotment went down to buckwheat which stifled the annual weeds and was excellent for digging in during the first season to improve the soil.

This gave me time to get all sorts of things going on the other half of the allotment and to get things like compost heaps going.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 22:05 »
I don't know where in the country Mitcham is, but bear in mind that if you cleared 2 beds by the start of June, that will give you 2 more beds for things like squash / sweetcorn / beans / courgettes - all those plants which you can't plant out until the risk of frost has passed.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Salmo

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 00:43 »
The alternative is to plant a mix with ryegrass and clover to grow through the Summer and dig in the Autumn.

xx
Green manure - Phacelia

Started by bobbyt on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 01, 2021, 14:31
by bobbyt
xx
green manure - phacelia vs vicia

Started by tomato-joy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 12, 2007, 18:39
by Scribbler
xx
Green Compost (Green Manure)

Started by Dirt Diver on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 30, 2010, 16:38
by Dirt Diver
xx
Green manure or horse manure?

Started by yorkiegal on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 10, 2012, 01:12
by Trillium

Page created in 0.427 seconds with 33 queries.