Sweetpeas in Scotland?

• 3 Replies

Lesleyk

• Experienced Member
Sweetpeas in Scotland?
« on: December 11, 2012, 17:29 »
 :) Despite my situation on the wild west coast of Scotland, only yards from the sea and frequently buffeted by strong winds and salt-laden spray, I have managed to find a way to grow most of the things I need or want, using a mixture of protective methods and crossed fingers.  I have been growing sweet peas every year for about four years with some degree of success (last year was brilliant), by planting them in pots and training them up trellises that are protected from the wind by several layers of netting. I grow the plants from seed raised in my greenhouse.   I want to grow more of the one-colour varieties, specifically the pink-reds, rather than the mixture of colours I have been growing up to now.  Do you have any suggestions for this?  My understanding is that the single colours tend to be less hardy, but that may just be a misconception.  Thanks, Lesley. :)

Trillium

Re: Sweetpeas in Scotland?
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 15:26 »
I've never heard that theory before. If you want all one colour then you'll need to buy all new seeds that are planted alone since sweet peas can cross-pollinate with whatever is in the wind. Vegetable peas don't cross, but sweet peas, though normally self-pollinating, can be accessed by determined bees and it takes only a few crosses and you've got some new colours. You'll need to mark or pull those changed ones in the following year to keep your colour strain pure.

LINK

Lesleyk

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 16:24 »
 :) Good advice, thanks.  I will be starting next year with all new seed for the one-colour look.  I have some saved seed from this year which I might use in pots but I want my main "block" to be one colour.  Perhaps I dreamt the less hardy thing, although I have found the reds to be weaker than the others in the mixtures I have planted up to now.  Any thoughts about a good, pinkish variety for me to have a go at?
  ;)

Trillium

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 20:50 »
Overall, sweet peas are quite hardy and this one might suit you: HERE

xx
Too early for sweet peas in Scotland?!

Started by earthing83 on General Gardening

10 Replies
Last post April 03, 2011, 07:36
by roonyin
xx
sweetpeas

Started by meggymoo on General Gardening

11 Replies
Last post May 17, 2014, 21:03
by chrissie B
xx
Sweetpeas (again)

Started by sloegin on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post August 02, 2010, 14:08
by diggerjoe
xx
sweetpeas

Started by tulsalady on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post April 17, 2010, 16:09
by tulsalady

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 36 queries.