yolk laid out of a very soft shelled perfectly shaped egg

• 3 Replies

sapper

Hi. I'm new to this game and my little white hen started laying two weeks ago and usually lays same time everyday.
I introduced a new little hen today who is very friendly and my little white hen wasnt too impressed. Anyway just popped out and came back to find my little white hen had laid a yolk, membrane and fluid on the floor as well as a very soft shelled perfectly shaped egg next to it. Can anyone tell me what has happened. Is it due to stress of new hen or is she ill? What can I do to help her? HELP PLEASE!!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 22:50 by sapper »

symonep

• Experienced Member
Re: yolk laid out of a very soft shelled perfectly shaped egg
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 23:21 »
Could be due to stress, one of mine does the same if she has a fright such as thunder, she will normally lay a soft shelled egg and then not lay the next day and then get back to normal. It could also be that she is new to laying
Gained an allotment on the 19th June 08, 135ft by 40ft! eekk. Finally after 4 years it is looking like an allotment and not a jungle

We have 5 lovely hens in the garden, fish, 2 dogs and 2 canaries

Sassy

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 08:11 »
It could be due to the stress of the new hen but also as she is new to laying you do sometimes get these little oddities whilst their systems perfect the egg producing. Do keep an eye but I very much doubt it is anything to worry about. It may never happen again or just once or twice more before settling down.

Hens take about 25 hours to make and produce an egg so don't be suprised is she stops laying at the same time every day. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 09:57 »
Some times when they release 2 yolks they don't manage to produce a double yolker.  There system doesn't always cope so you can get 2 eggs that have not formed properly. 

One of mine had this problem when she was young, she has grown out of it but still lays softies regularly.  I have tried everything including lime stone flour but I think she has probably been bred too much for egg production.  :(
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

xx
Two soft shelled eggs laid together, help!

Started by ANHBUC on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post March 18, 2011, 09:29
by ANHBUC
xx
soft shelled egg

Started by Kiwi on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 09, 2008, 20:19
by Kiwi
xx
Still getting soft shelled egg

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 03, 2007, 23:40
by MontyTom
xx
Soft shelled egg

Started by Debz on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 12, 2008, 10:07
by Debz

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 38 queries.