Got my coop - what next?

• 25 Replies

gsc

• Experienced Member
Got my coop - what next?
« on: May 19, 2010, 05:59 »
Morning all - awake at 4am today - dogs a bit active for some reason.

So here I am, all excited cos I bought a new chicken coop (went cheap at auction).  I figured it was probabaly a sensible way to make my mistakes and get through the learning curve quickly.

We have a chap fairly local that has point of lay birds for £12 each (am I allowed to post a link showing what he offers or is that against the rules?)

I was thinking of maybe getting 6 different breeds just to see how things go.  All advice gratefully rec'd.

Manlea1

• Experienced Member
Re: Got my coop - what next?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2010, 06:04 »
How much was it may i ask?  :)

gsc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2010, 06:37 »
I paid £130 plus £25 P&P

I'm guessing there will be better stuff around but for the money I think once I understand my needs better it will be easy enough to sell on.

Here's how it was described - I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post links - don't want to breach any advertising rules - especially as a newbie who doesn't know what she's doing :)

CLASSIC STYLE HEN HOUSE - CHICKEN COOP AGP1178

They have been manufactured using only the strongest and finest materials, made from strong fir wood which is both attractive and durable. They allow your pets to have more freedom if needed, also included is a catch to secure them in.  The wood is treated using a water based anti fungicidal animal and environment friendly stain.

Flat packed ready and easy to assemble
RRP: £349.99
BRAND NEW IN SEALED BOX
FULL COMPLETE WARRANTY
New, improved design featuring a removeable plastic tray for easy cleaning !!
Quality materials and workmanship
Extra Stable Fox Proof Wire
Effortless Assembly
Slide out easy clean floor
Easy access doors and lift up roof

Suitable for 8 - 10 Small Birds - 6 - 8 Standard Birds
This traditional chicken coop is crafted from planed, kiln-dried fir.
No nails are used in construction all tenon screwed and glued joints.
Many features are incorporated to give the classic hen house design.
The hinged lockable nesting box allowing ease of access to your eggs.
Cleaning of the coop is made easy via a slide out dirt tray and side lockable large access door.
Overall coop is both charming and traditional and is an ideal home to grace any garden or smallholding.
All joints and mesh are fixed with screws and the mesh is the same as that used on dog cages.
The roof is a thick tile effect felt that is glued onto a thick exterior grade plywood.

CHICKEN COOP with NEST BOX DIMENSIONS:
WIDTH: 97 inches (248cm)
DEPTH: 40 inches (102cm)
HEIGHT: 63 inches (160cm)
WEIGHT: 76KG
CHICKEN COOP without NEST BOX DIMENSIONS:
WIDTH: 80 inches (205cm)
DEPTH: 40 inches (102cm)
HEIGHT: 63 inches (160cm)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2010, 07:03 »
The coup may be big enough for them to sleep in but you will need a run for them as this run certainly isn't big enough. What length is the perch?  You should allow 8-12" per bird for perching (so this will give you an idea of how many hens you can fit inside comfortably the smaller measurement being for bantam size). Is there a cover for the mesh door? Any ventilation should be over the chickens heads as draughts are bad for birds. For the run you should allow a minimum of 1 square meter per bird although we would recommend at least two - remember you will need to fit in their feeder, drinker and a dust bathing area.
I would also make sure that the pull out tray can be locked in place as somebody on here had a fox pull this out and get to her birds this week  :(.
Personally I would house no more than four in this coup and like I say have a large run attached to it.
Staffies are softer than you think.

gsc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2010, 07:08 »
Thanks Joyfull -  I intend to give them plenty of room to roam - I will check the perch sizes.  Fortunately we have some-one to do odd jobs who is very handy so I expect I will adapt as needed when he puts it together for me and I'm guessing I will learn a lot very quickly - 'the hard way' as they say. :dry:

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2010, 07:12 »
just like myself and lots on here have done - my first coup was one of those chineesey things that said suitable for 4  :ohmy: I couldn't even fit 1 in with the feeder and stuff  :lol:

Sassy

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2010, 08:03 »
I've read your post re letting land to a rescue centre. So, as you have land - albeit that you don't have other ideas for it - I would suggest that you get an electricfied poultry net and that would give your chucks the space and protection they need. Just a thought. :) :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

carolbriar

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2010, 08:12 »
Your new coop looks great.  I got my coup in October last year and already it is showing signs of wear.  I made a mistake getting mine, don't get me wrong, it looks very pretty, but it won't last that long.  Yours looks much more robust.  Good luck with getting your chooks. :)
Carolbriar
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

Jeanette

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2010, 11:14 »
How many chickens are you thinking of getting. I would not put more than 3 in there and you will need more room for the run if they are not free range. :)

gsc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2010, 11:55 »
How many chickens are you thinking of getting. I would not put more than 3 in there and you will need more room for the run if they are not free range. :)

Thought I might get 6 but I may need more accomodation.  Yes they can free range.  I'm thinking of enclosing this area here, where we planted the fruit trees yesterday.

Henlady

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2010, 13:38 »
I have a similar coop that I got in Feburary and I have 4 birds in it.  I have a run which quadrupled the size that I kept them in for the first week but now they free range in the garden all day.  I only use the run if I need to keep them locked up for a short time.  ie young kids or dogs visiting etc.

gsc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 13:44 »
4 sounds a good round number :)

gsc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2010, 07:28 »
Well the coop arrived yesterday and it had about 6 smashed parts to it - could have been in transit but more likely packed that way (in China I guess).  They wanted me to pack it up and send it back for a refund but I will negotiate a discount instead as I had someone here waiting to put it together for me.

The repairs were made as he went along - it took a couple of hours in all - and I guess as a cheap starting point it's worth the money, although there are several design quirks that need improvement, eg a silly heart shaped plastic door latch that the slightest nudge will leave 2 doors open, the nest box lid could do with some sort of fastener, and something is definitely needed to weight it down and make it more stable - a good gust of wind could take the whole thing!

So next step is deciding on the fencing around the birds and coops - this thing is definitely NOT foxproof!!!
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 08:04 by gsc »

wolverine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2010, 07:55 »
That sucks I hate buying things on line. My coop looks the same design it said 4 birds when I got mine and when it turned up I just laughed it's was tiny so I just got three birds and let them have the whole garden they seem happy with that . the perching thing needs to be sorted one of mine seems to be sleeping in the nest box if this is lack of perch space or just that she likes it I don't know but joyful says 12" per bird and there isn't that much I'm gonna fit a latch on my poo tray today. If the fox gets my girls I will start a war  :mad:  oh yeah one more thing mine has Perspex windows the mesh look like it will be cold at night. I'd just get a piece from b&q and stick it on  :)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 08:01 by wolverine »
"It's so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don't say it."

Craig69

• Experienced Member
  • Kinder - Cadbury & Little One ~ Newton Abbot
    • Jellyfish Window Cleaning
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2010, 08:29 »
I bought one very similar.
Only keep 3 in it even though it said for 6 - 8 standard birds. Not enough room and definately need a run or free range.
They really aren't worth the money i think. I got mine off ebay for around £70.
The timber doesn't look like it will last very long at all as it's quite thin.
I'm wishing i built my own now - but probably will have to next year anyway :nowink:
Yes they look nice, but that's it.

xx
How many to a coop?

Started by Bruced on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post July 21, 2009, 13:23
by Bruced
xx
Is this coop OK?

Started by hillbilly on The Hen House

25 Replies
Last post November 08, 2009, 20:17
by hillbilly
xx
my new coop

Started by andy46 on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post July 04, 2012, 20:10
by nerdle
xx
new coop and run

Started by cheshirecat on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post December 21, 2009, 22:06
by cheshirecat

Page created in 0.216 seconds with 39 queries.