who to buy your coop from

• 34 Replies

Bogof

who to buy your coop from
« on: March 24, 2010, 17:21 »
I would like to get going with keeping a few chickens but after reading a lot of posts I'm getting very confused, I'm quite handy but have no idea what to make and having just built a log store the cost of wood and my time to put it together I'm thinking of buying one. Could anyone give me an idea of a supplier of good quality coop for up to 8 birds. thanks for your help. I have looked at eglu cube but I don't think i can justify the cost. I will make a run myself as I would like to give a large space for them to be happy.
Buy One Get One Free.

Tattyanne456

• Experienced Member
  • who says I only grow Mickey Mouse potatoes!
Re: who to buy your coop from
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 18:16 »
We got ours from Ebay. we just put some extra  pressure treated timber around the bottom, so that if it rotted due to being stood on the ground it would be fairly easily replaced. We paid a good price and it came with free delivery.

UrbanG

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 18:21 »
We also got ours from an Ebay shop.

http://shop.ebay.co.uk/gardensandpets-uk/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p4340

Very reasonably priced compared to proper shops, very very well built (have to assemble from flat pack tho) and it was very quick delivery.
Message him for your exact requirement.

I also made my own run as a bit of wire and some wood is a lot cheaper from Wicks or somewhere and do it yourself.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 18:23 by UrbanG »
1st year at 'proper' veggie gardening with 2x 12ftx4ft raised beds. loads of patio containers, 2 chickens and 1 ferret.

jonesblack

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 19:19 »
Have a look at this guys coops, i've had one for a while top quality and worth every penny.Don't waste your money on those imports like i did at first, they don't stand up to the weather!!
http://www.whitebarnpoultryandanimalhousing.co.uk/Poultry%20Houses.html

Bogof

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 19:40 »
Can any one coment on p and t poultry?

jonesblack

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 20:09 »
I bought a Dorking house from p and t poultry didnt stand the weather became damp and the roof warped the slide out floor  tray was stuck every day as it had swelled with damp, bought another house 6 months later to keep my chicks dry!Also perches were low so hens slept in the nest box till i put the perch higher!

karlooben

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 20:13 »
get a shed its a whole lot cheaper very easy to convert and has more uses to it if u dont ever want to keep birds in  it  :lol: :lol: and will last a whole lot longer  :D
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

hillfooter

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 20:16 »
If you want a high quality well designed house try Forsham Cottage Arks at Ashford who are regarded as the market leaders in traditional coops.  In particular see their Lenham 504 mid sized house which isn't cheap but I've had three of their houses now and can't fault them for durability (the oldest is over 10years old and still sound) ease of maintenance cleaning etc and well thought out husbandry.  They aren't cheap though but if you look at the features they have it'll tell you what a well designed and built house should be.  http://www.forshamcottagearks.com/

Also I've seen and been very impressed wth the build quality of the Westaway poultry houses which are built to order and again look well thought out by people who know poultry, http://www.westawaypoultry.com/products/housing.html again they aren't cheap but built to last.

I'd echo what jonesblack has said about cheap ebay imports from china which are very flimsy.  For example they use 10mm tongue and groove rather than 12mm or better still 15mm.  Steer clear of any which use mineral felt (roofing felt) as they will be a paradise for red mite and you'll rue the day.  I'd also caution about carpenter tradesman type house built by someone who might know about wood work but not about chicken keeping.  There's a lot of knowledge goes into a well designed house and it's not all about build quality and sound materials though that has to be right.  I've seen lots of well built disasters and DIY efforts which have failed to appreciate the needs of the chx or been well made but used the wrong materials.   

The interior features are very important such as perches which should not be single poles but a grill through which the dropping s will fall and a dropping area which should not be accessible to the chx.  Many have dropping boards which sound convenient but are often flimsy and warp, awkward to handle particularly in a wind and if not deep enough can end up having their contents scraped off when you withdraw them.  If they are too big they can be heavy and difficult to tip into a barrow without spilling the contents. 

I think the best designs have a removable externjal nestboxes and a completely flat raised floor which is readily accessible and easy to sweep out with no ledges to trap droppings. 

Pophole doors should be vertically dropping in slides which don't jam and can be fitted with an auto opener in the future.  I wouldn't touch a house with a side sliding door personally.

I'd always prefer a double pitched roof too.  Ship lap or corrugated mineral board (Onduline) is very good.  I've seen some disasters in this area too with the roof slopes shedding rain over the entrance.

You also need to think about how you are going to manage the run.  Will you need to move the house to a new site and how frequently.  Small tent like arks can be fitted with wheels or houses such as Lenhams can be mounted on sledges as I do and towed to new locations.  8  L/F chx don't need a lot of room and an area largely comprising roosting bars of 9 square feet is ample.  There's no need to make the house too big if you have ample run and they prefer to huddle up in winter or on cold nights so it's counter-productive to give them lots of space and in particular they don't need much floor space just enough to allow them access to the perches and nestboxes.  Too much space and it will be cold and use a lot of litter and encourage them to scratch about in it when they'd be better off in the run.  Make sure there's well baffled ample ventilation above head height and all will be well.

I agree with Karlooben. get a shed if you don't want to keep birds in it but otherwise get a good quality chicken house.

All the best
HF
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 20:40 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

jackie

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 20:42 »
we got a lovely one from ebay with a little run for our seven hens. unfortunately it was really awkward to clean so we ended up putting them in our old shed with a couple of perches and two plastic crates. they seem to sleep in one and lay eggs in the other. wish we had done that in the first place. hope this helps

karlooben

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 21:00 »
i only go with sheds my finances could never stretch as far a new posh chicken house  :lol: unless i won the lottery and anyways does it really matter what they  sleep in as long as its dry warm an cosy and fox proof  ;)

Bogof

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 21:10 »
On the subject of sheds how does this rate, shed express pent shed special offer. 5 x 4 £228.

karlooben

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 06:18 »
the cheapest  i have found is b and q £89 for 6'4

hillfooter

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2010, 11:59 »
i only go with sheds my finances could never stretch as far a new posh chicken house  :lol: unless i won the lottery and anyways does it really matter what they  sleep in as long as its dry warm an cosy and fox proof  ;)

I was probably being a little facetious Loobie for which I apologise but there's also a serious point too.  If I had a shed which was available then I would certainly look at how I could use that however in bigof's case he was thinking of starting from scratch and wanted a "good quality" one.  We all know chicken keeping is addictive so once you start the likelihood is that you'll soon have more chx and it's likely to last a long while so I'm a firm believer in getting the best quality I can afford.  Yes my Lenhams were very expensive at the time.  The first one I bought cost me £320 ish 12 years ago but I was advised at the time they were the best by an experienced keeper and I've never regreted it.  I've looked after it mind and applied preservative each year to the outside and replaced any split roof boards and those showing signs of rot.  It's still very sound with no leaks and I'm confident it will last another ten years at least.  Not a bad investment at less than £30 per year to date.  I've also bought cheap ebay houses the sort which come prepacked and can also be had from pet shop outlets.  They are well machined and go together and look well initially but their design leaves things to be desired as far as the chx are concerned and the materials don't standup to the British weather.  Thin light softwood boarding and flimsy batons held together with staples and nail gun pins which quickly rust. 

When I do the lifetime cost calculation on these despite their initial low cost they've cost me 3X as much as the Lenhams and getting worse every year the Lenhams continue servicable.

Sheds are far fom optimum designs for chx and to use them is a compromise. I'm not going into the short comings of sheds for chx as I'm sure there are lots of shed users out there who will want to take issue and these are just my personal opinions.  I'll just say to convert them still requires some work and to make them as well adapted as a good coop design, a lot of work.

You can build well designed coops yourself at a fraction of the cost of buying a professionally made one particularly if you can use scrap materials and don't cost your time, but as bigof has recognised they require a lot more work than you imagine before you start.

A note on self build.  If you do invest the effort and build one yourself take plenty of time choosing a good design which produces a house to your chosen method of husbandry ie if it needs to be portable make sure it's designed with this in mind and use the best materials you can afford.  You are investing a lot of your time and effort so don't spoil it by using unsuitable materials because they are free.  Scrap pallets are generally rough sawn low quality untreated  timber which can only be butt jointed whereas outside cladding needs to be good quality treated timber lap jointed.  So if you use it be aware it's not going to be ideal.  If you know of a source of off cuts such as from stable builders you can often get top quality treated materials for very little, though these days most businesses are aware of the scrap reuse value and recycle.
Regards
HF

Debz

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2010, 12:43 »
I got my house from a chap called Wallace Fox & Son.  It comes flatpacked but is as sturdy a construction as can be and can be moved onto new ground if nec.  I had previously bought a Chicken Shack which warped and leaked in no time at all.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 15:01 by Debz »

Ruby Red

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2010, 14:30 »
  Ibought mine from a chap who makes his own called " Woodenart". They deliver and put it up for you too. Its beautiful.
Oh for those halcyon days of England long ago

xx
How many to a coop?

Started by Bruced on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post July 21, 2009, 13:23
by Bruced
xx
Is this coop OK?

Started by hillbilly on The Hen House

25 Replies
Last post November 08, 2009, 20:17
by hillbilly
xx
my new coop

Started by andy46 on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post July 04, 2012, 20:10
by nerdle
xx
new coop and run

Started by cheshirecat on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post December 21, 2009, 22:06
by cheshirecat

Page created in 0.271 seconds with 38 queries.