buying summer bedding

• 3 Replies

rowlandwells

buying summer bedding
« on: October 20, 2022, 11:42 »
I know it seems a long way off from even thinking about buying bedding plants and summer bedding for next year it's going to be interesting to see just how much these plants are going up in price because most things as we know have risen in price shopping is becoming more expensive also our seed bill has also had seen an increase don't mention fuel so by and large everything has up in price

I think this will have a knock-on effect when we come to buying our summer bedding for next year for those of us who buy in plug plants and raised cutting to pot on, I dread to think what the price will be for ready to plant bedding because as we know the present situation with rising fuel must impact on retail sales and to be honest, I don't know the answer to this I'm of the opinion we will need to be looking at growing more plants from seed as seed raised might be more cost effective for planting out in our flower beds what's you Vue on this topic 

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: buying summer bedding
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2022, 12:16 »
As you say, I think it will depend on the prices charged. My email inbox, is full of very tempting offers of packs for next year from T&M, who seem very eager for you to order now. I think the cost of living crisis has them a bit worried, they might just have to reduce their whole range in order to make any sales. Only time will tell...

Over the years I've been growing more of the plants I need, rather than opt for the mixed colour packs which the companies like to sell. I don't like crazy mixed colours, so easier to choose a colour, or 2, that I like and grow them from seed  IMO.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2022, 12:17 by mumofstig »

mrs bouquet

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2022, 12:37 »
This year I have african marigold in 2 tubs, which I have managed to keep the slugs away from.  I just pick off the heads and crinkle them over the pots.   Also begonias trailing and upright which I managed from last years, so I shall leave them in their pots and baskets and put in the g/house.  Some geraniums I have already put inside the rest are in a more sheltered place and I shall x my fingers for those.  The bedding begonias which are still flowering away, I shall eventually cut back and lightly cover with some fresh soil.  They will be ok.
I am now thinking how pleased I was at my decision to reduce the tubs down from 80 odd.    As I have got older I feel more relaxed about the rigidity of my gardening habits, so I shrug my shoulders and think, they've all got two chances    Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2022, 12:55 »
I forgot to say that I planted a trough with a grass and some perinials.   They have look good and will still be there next year  ;)  Mrs B

xx
Next years summer bedding.

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

0 Replies
Last post November 17, 2008, 12:05
by mrs bouquet
xx
Storing Summer Bedding Over Winter

Started by garddwr on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post September 01, 2008, 11:38
by Yabba
xx
Raise Summer Bedding from Seed

Started by garddwr on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post September 01, 2008, 17:37
by garddwr
xx
Bedding down

Started by Liz on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post October 17, 2006, 13:44
by muntjac

Page created in 0.175 seconds with 36 queries.