Saving seed

• 8 Replies

snowdrops

Saving seed
« on: July 04, 2021, 09:25 »
How best to save broad beans for seed, in the pod or out? In a dehydrator or just in a warm place.
The reason I ask as my husband (not a gardener) has made me doubt what I’ve done in the past. I think I normally pod & just leave them on a piece of paper I the conservatory .
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Frogs

Re: Saving seed
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2021, 10:19 »
I harvested my first broad beans yesterday and really enjoyed them so I’d be interested in the answer on this one. I managed to save runner beans last year by letting them dry out on the plant and then when I took the wigwams down in the autumn I just popped them in a plastic bag in the airing cupboard. I grew them this year and they are doing really well :) 

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2021, 11:20 »
Frogs that sounds a very good approach.
My only question would be whether you’d be better storing the dried seeds in a paper bag rather than plastic. I’m not suggesting that solely from an anti plastic perspective but more because I wonder if there is a risk of rot in plastic. Having said that if they are growing well you clearly haven’t had an issue. HH
Keep digging

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2021, 11:29 »
I just leave the pods of any beans/peas in their pods on paper somewhere warm and dry. Usually near the radiator in the spare bedroom. Always remembering to shut the door so the cat doesn't flick them all over the floor  :lol:
When they are brown and crispy I break them out of their pods and bag them up. Luckily last year I put them in plastic bags, eventually, as one variety was infested with bean weevils, which weren't apparent until spring when they hatched inside the bag. YUK.

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2021, 12:02 »
There could be a theory that by drying them in the pods, they wreak out the last of whatever 'goodness' they've acquired during the season, so by taking them out before drying them, they 'might lose' that little extra.

I used to leave all sorts of beans in their pods until Mrs Growster decided that she wanted to pod the lot as they were getting in the way, and took up too much room...

Our 'problem' with growing them at home now, is that we really don't have enough room for more than 30 or so plants, (even The Sutton Dwarf), and what with some of them not coming up to scratch, we never have enough for seed next year as, like today, they're going in the saucepan!

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2021, 13:11 »
Looks like using plastic bags has a benefit I hadn’t considered!!! HH

snowdrops

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2021, 18:50 »
Thanks everyone, I leave runners,borlotti,cannelini in the pods so wondered why I pod the broad beans normally lol.

al78

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2021, 09:34 »
Leave them on the plant until they go black, but before the pods burst and release the seeds.

snowdrops

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2021, 17:49 »
Leave them on the plant until they go black, but before the pods burst and release the seeds.

Thanks, the plants weren’t mine but the pods were! Lol, so they’re already picked
And now drying on sheets of newspaper in airy trays in their pods in the conservatory.
Thanks for all the replies  :)

xx
Seed Saving.

Started by Potiron on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post March 26, 2009, 08:47
by Haz
xx
seed saving

Started by Bigbadfrankie on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 04, 2007, 23:16
by GrannieAnnie
xx
seed saving

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 19, 2015, 11:52
by Bohobumble
xx
Seed Saving

Started by LotuSeed on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 10, 2015, 16:00
by LotuSeed

Page created in 0.323 seconds with 39 queries.