Tesco eggs - is this normal

• 19 Replies

digby

• Experienced Member
« on: August 13, 2008, 16:14 »
I always buy my eggs from our local farm, but today I ran out and bought some Tesco ones for convenience as my girls wanted to make a lemon meringue pie.  Anyway, I had separated the last 2 of the farm eggs no problem, a nice firm yolk - I then tried to separate a tesco one (yes I did buy free range) and the yolk was as runny as anything, and I had to get a spoon out to get it away from the white - I haven't had to do this for years.

Is this normal for supermarket eggs or was I just unlucky (or are the farm ones supposed to have a runny middle and I've been eating gone off eggs?)

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 16:17 »
Eggs get runnier as they get older. And in supermarket terms less than 21 days is fresh!!! It's a shock when you have to go back, isn't it :roll:
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 16:25 »
we try to do without when we have none of our own, supermarket eggs are diabolical aint they  :x
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 16:28 »
I'm really struggling as all of mine are moulting at the same time and haven't had a egg in 20 days. Fingers crossed they will be starting up again soon :cry:

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 16:31 »
Fingers crossed Kate  :D  I hate the wait. Must admit I've never eaten a duck egg is there much difference apart from the size ??

Roughlee Handled

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 16:31 »
Quote from: "Kate and her Ducks"
..supermarket terms less than 21 days is fresh!!! ........

It still shocks me as well, to think they have a display date of 21days and a use by date of 28days after laying!!!!!!!!!!!! That is the law!!

Fresh?  Only with your money.
Stuart

Dont worry I am just paranoid duckie.

If I get the wrong end of the stick its because I have speed read. Honest.

Blar blar blar blar snorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 16:34 »
Quote from: "richyrich7"
Fingers crossed Kate  :D  I hate the wait. Must admit I've never eaten a duck egg is there much difference apart from the size ??

Love my duck eggs. They are manbe a fraction firmer than chicken ones but that might be the freshness for me as most chicken eggs I have had are bought. Make great baking. If hard boiled can taste the faintest ducky hint but never noticed it any other way :D

mickwood

• Experienced Member
    • Our Lotty
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 16:52 »
And I thought it was just 'egg snobbery' but last week I went back to 'supermarket eggs' as I'd run out of farm eggs....NEVER AGAIN!

Bland...pale...runny....  :puker:

Roll on the day my girls start the laying!!  :D

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 17:24 »
Long live egg snobbery!!! I will never go back :evil:

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008, 17:37 »
Ditto.

I'd rather eat worms than buy eggs from a supermarket.

Jellyhead

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2008, 18:00 »
Interesting, my flower girls who were rescued from nasty b**ch over the road lay an eggie a day for me. BUT, they nearly always break and are really runny. The yolks are lovely and yellowy orange and they taste okay but I can always rely on them breaking cos they are so runny.
I don't know how old the chooks are but I do know they were malnourished and in a bad way when I got them :?
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

NormandyMary

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2008, 20:09 »
I said the eggsact thing yesterday on another thread about us all getting blasé over our eggs. What becomes the norm for us is a real treat for others. I know that I just couldnt go back to supermarket eggs now. They "pale" in comparison, quite literally!

mumsy

« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2008, 20:22 »
I  haven't bought eggs from that shop we don't mention for well over a year, today I just happen to walk up that aisle, I looked at the eggs & was amazed that the labels said from 'caged birds' & the shelves were nearly empty :cry:  :cry:  :cry:  How long have they labelled them like that??  I felt sick & sad :cry: but it obviously doesn't affect everyone like that :cry:  :cry:

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2008, 20:58 »
They have been labelled from caged birds for quite some time now Mumsy, it's just sad that some people either don't care or worse can't afford to buy better.

There was a little snippet in the Sun a few weeks ago they reckon more people are keeping hens now as a money saving venture average savings can be £250 or there abouts a year was what they said.

FCG

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2008, 21:03 »
I feel exactly the same way Mumsy. I was shocked to learn the lion mark was for caged hens as well. Kate I'm sorry i forgot the six eggs i was going to being you, left the bag on the table.

I think my parents only tolerate the chickens on the 1.50 saving on 15 eggs from Asda. (But my mum is a secret animal lover, she had -every- animal under the sun Canvey island) That's the benchmark I have to aim for with my chickens. If I can get the average per egg near that of 25-10p within a year (which my spreadsheet says I can) I'll be more than happy. Does anyone else know their pence per egg cost (or pound per egg). However this'll all go out the window when they moult or something.

Anyone find that boiled eggs from the shop we don't mention are horrible?

xx
Tesco Eggs Being Hatched!!

Started by herbiegrowsbananas on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post March 15, 2007, 08:43
by The Chicken Lady
xx
Chicken Out campaign & Tesco ...

Started by peggyprice on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post May 30, 2008, 08:35
by Porffor
xx
Hen not 'normal'

Started by CluckyChicken on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 14, 2011, 21:57
by CluckyChicken
xx
Is it normal?!

Started by Mum2mj on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 01, 2012, 11:33
by Mum2mj

Page created in 0.2 seconds with 37 queries.